PID Test Rig for Learning

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am interested in learning about PID Loops. I have not used one in any of my programming yet but want to be ready should it come up.

So I am looking for ideas on how I can build some kind of test rig that I can connect up to a PLC and do a bunch of testing and learning. I have a SLC 5/04, 1769-L32 and a AD Productivity 2000 available for me to use.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks for the help.

I would use the Compact logix and get an analog In/Out card.
Get a 4-20ma temperature sensor and a 4-20ma to 110vac converter wired to a light bulb. Place temperature sensor near bulb and try to maintain temperature. You can also put a fan on it to see how it recovers to a large error when you turn on the fan.

Also look at eBay and other hardware surplus supplier. Sometimes you can find the original AB training cases with that type of stuff already in it.

Thanks Jax,
That is a good idea.

I have done some research and it looks like I need a Analog Switching SSR. Anyone know of a inexpensive model that will work? Maybe something I can find on eBay?

You are in luck. In the downloads misc area there is a file called hotrod.zip. The program was written for a ML1500 or SLC5/04. It simulates controlling one of Ron Beauforts hotrod training systems which were basically soldering irons.

The hotrod system is simulated in software. It simulates at SOPDT system so there are two time constants, a gain and a dead time.

You should know that there are many different types of system. Each has a different model and needs to be tuned in a different way.

I believe the ML1500 had a relay that would click as the contact opened and closed.
It is real time so it take minutes for temperature go from one set point to another but it does look nice on the trends.

You can also try playing with our on-line motion controllers.
http://deltamotion.com/education/online_rmcs/online_rmcs.php

Motion control is much faster than temperature control.

Thanks Jax,
That is a good idea.

I have done some research and it looks like I need a Analog Switching SSR. Anyone know of a inexpensive model that will work? Maybe something I can find on eBay?

Search for "solid state voltage controller".
I used one before it was a Jeenda SAVP-2425