Test PID Code for SLC-500

rywins

How can I test some PID code I have written for a SLC-500 in RSLogix500, without having an actual processor to test on. I have used Emulate500 to date, but was having issues getting the PID block to function. I learned that, it will not run on Emulate500 (meaning, Emulate500 will not do any calcs, move CV, etc). Is there any other software or recommendations on how I can test my code, other than on a physical controller?
Thanks!!

Are you using a PID instruction, or did you construct a PID algorithm from ladder elements?

The reason I ask is that Emulate500 does not emulate the PID instruction, but one that it is straightforward to implement the PID algorithm using basic instructions that Emulate500 does emulate.

You have two problems. No PLC and no model to test it on. The good news is that the SLC/500 PID uses a relatively standard ISA PID with dependent gains and time constants in minutes. In other words it is easy to write PID in Excel or some other language to simulate how the PID works. The real problem is simulating the system to test it on.

I have wondered if people are willing to buy an Arduino or Raspberry PI if it had the ability to simulate temperature control and other systems. It would require a good quality analog input and analogue output. I think I would lean towards the Raspberry PI.

It amazes me tha the SLC500 simulator can simulate a PID when it is so easy to do.