Plc 5/80e connected to 1746 ni8 card issue

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i have a plc 5/80e connected to a host of racks.
one of those racks is a slc 500 series
it is Rack 015 Group 6
the Ni8 card is Module 0

my problem is that we have several monitors connected to the input card and the zero point has drifted.

we are using a btw to the card with a configuration word of 3852.
the btr places the data in the next sequence of registers.

the program is setup for 4-20 ma.
the program math is set up for a result of 0.0 to 25 in the f8 file.

is it possible to get the math to read -1 to 25 and how would i do that in the configuration.

i'm not well versed in this area so any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,
james

is it possible to get the math to read -1 to 25 and how would i do that in the configuration.

Its possible but not in the configuration , in the math that scales the data to engineering units.

The configuration word value you posted would indicate the card is configured for 0-20ma with a scaled for PID data format.
That would give you 3277 counts at 4ma and 16383 counts at 20ma.

To scale that to -1 to 25 use compute instruction

((Raw Data-3277)*.00198))-1=Scaled Data -1 to 25

Post your program and point us to the math that scales the data now.

my problem is that we have several monitors connected to the input card and the zero point has drifted.

I may have misread your problem after reading it again, is this zero point the analog cards raw value at 4ma?

If so you may have to apply a known 4 ma and take note of the raw value counts, also do the same at 20 ma. Then use these new values to compute your engineering units 0-25.
If you can provide these values someone can help with the math.

mickey,

thanks for the heads up.

we have several 4-20 ma monitors in the plant.
each is calibrated for 0 to 25.

what we have discovered is that on two of the units, the zero point has drifted into the negative area rather than staying at zero.

what i am trying to do is to see if anyone has been able to change the calibration / setup so the plc will be able to compute a -2 to a max of 23 or 25.

the problem is that this is the zero point of the meter.

if this was a slc 500 i wouldn't have a problem, i would use the scp command and a calibration meter to get my unit programmed.

regards,
james