PLC 5/80E Rack fault staus bits

todster

Use rack 14 as an example. It is split into 2 1/2 racks, groups 0 and 4.
1.GIF2.GIF
S:32/4 gives me the fault for the entire rack 14. How would I identify the fault by the group? The reason being is that when a freq. drive is turned off or actually faults, it shuts off the other freq drive that is in the same "rack". Had the engineer of thought this through, 2 sequential units in line would be a rack not 2 units on different lines. This wouldn't be an issue then.
Other than creating additional logic with a watchdog, are there other S-bits I'm overlooking that will differentiate the groups? Channel 1B shows that it can distinguish which Group faulted, but where is this bit found?

I am guessing the shutting off of the other drive that you mention is done by the PLC logic.
If there is a bus-fault, why even shout down the drive in the PLC logic ? It will make no difference to the drive with the bus fault. If it is set to stop in case of a bus fault, it will stop. If it is set to keep running, it will keep running. My point is that if you cannot distinguish the exact drive that is affected by the bus fault, you will have to monitor it another way. I would monitor what the drive "does". If it is a pump, monitor the pressure. If it is a conveyor, monitor the speed. Etc.

The drives are on the RIO on Channel 1B. If the RIO adapter sets a fault then the entire rack, not just the group, is considered faulted. This is by PLC design? not programming. Refer to the pic in post 1. The logic for both drives use the S:32 bit for fault detection. Why move parameters to the drive if it is faulted? If it is faulted it's also necessary to turn off upstream or downstream equipment. The conveyors run at 580 FPM so a few seconds is a large pile. I would prefer finding a simple way to indicate a fault for each adapter.

I fully understand the problem you are facing.
I just suggested a way to overcome the problem, in case it is not possible to narrow down the fault to the particular drive. Besides, you have to have speed monitors on all belts anyway, yes ?

We do have PPI wheels on the belts but they only count length. The maintained speed at this section is not critical, nor monitored. I was just hopeful there was an S-bit that wasn't covered in the literature. Kinda like an easter egg thing.
There is a flag for each group so someplace a bit is set as seen in the channel properties, 4th column. In the not so old days, this is where Ron B would step in and give us the hot tip as well as some trivia that for the moment seems useless, yet further down our road, the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Obviously detecting by the group isn't possible (yet) so I'll play with the PPI wheel idea.
Thanks Jesper.🍻