plc control of stepper motors

Dinesh_Vather

This is my first time in this site I hope you can help me. I am doing a project that involves the control of stepper motors with a plc i have not picked a plc of stepper motor yet so if anyone has any help... thanx banghead

Dinesh,

There is a vast range of PLC and Stepper. You have to choose one according how familiar - at least on one of the item - and decide the other on based on your application and availability in your region.

Normally steppers comes in at least 2 variants, stand alone units which interface with PLC digitally. The other one, the pulse generator and controller resides on the PLC and drives the stepper through a external driver.

In this region Vexta stepper from Oriental is quite commonly used for stand alone units. In AB PLC there is a stepper control module that resides on the rack - the HSTP1 module which is controlled directly through your program codes. So does Omron PLCs

Consider your needs, availability and decide appropriately

beerchug

Dear,
u know that stepper motor system has the following parts, which depend each other so.
1-to select a motor. u have to specify the following.
a-number of pulse/rev.
b-motor power.
2-select the power supply according to motor power.
3-select the drive controller.
4-then u can use any plc has a pulse train output. This pulse output frequency must be grater than the frequency pulses u need to achieve your speed.

rotation speed(rev/sec)= (output pulse per second)/(pulse/rev)