PLC control of single axis stepper

The AutomationDirect They will drive pulse and direction without any additional hardware, other than the drive. Those bricks even have a (very) simple motion controller feature that are good f0r simple positioning.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ogic_05_(Micro_Brick_PLC)/PLC_Units/D0-05DD-D

I've done exactly what you're describing - CW and CCW with analog speed control - with the '05 before. I've also done a positioning application with the '06. The only difference between the '05 and the '06 (besides more I/O on the '06) is that the '06 has a higher maximum output frequency (7KHz VS 10KHz), so you can drive your motor at a higher RPM, if that's important.

You will need an analog input card for either of those PLC's. 0-10V is easiest to use with a simple pot.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...dable_Micro_Brick_PLC)/Analog_I-z-O/F0-04AD-2

The manual is actually very good at describing the ladder logic setup for controlling the stepper. Ask more questions if you decide to go this route. I'll chime in with what I know.

-rpoet

Hi rpoet,
So maybe a dump question but you still had to write the code for things to work? That is always the weak link/issue as I do kinda understand ladder logic I don't have any good examples of what is needed to follow.

Hi rpoet,
So maybe a dump question but you still had to write the code for things to work? That is always the weak link/issue as I do kinda understand ladder logic I don't have any good examples of what is needed to follow.

Yes. The code has to be written to match the details of the process you're doing. The AD solution will allow you to control the speed of the stepper, the ultimate position (number of steps) or both, depending on how your program is written.

I've done both; I've controlled the speed and direction of the stepper in "free running" mode (run until I say stop) as well as used the PLC to run a given number of steps at a specific speed and direction (run from here to there, this fast, now). I suppose with a clever bit of programming you could even run a pre-programmed number of steps, at a speed controlled by the operator.

The DL-06 manual is quite good at walking you through the setup programming to use a stepper. As for the logic, that's up to you. It definitely helps to have a working knowledge of ladder programming, but it's possible to learn as you go.

When I did my stepper projects, I used the R710 stepper drive from Lin Engineering:

http://www.linengineering.com/Drivers-Controllers/R701-R710.aspx

I like the 710 because it has microstepping; it turns every step pulse from the PLC into (up to) 10 pulses for the motor. This effectively gives you 10X the resolution of a whole-step drive. It makes the motor much quieter too. It has good power handling ability - 7A at up to 80V, and it's cheap too.

I've done enough of these stepper projects that I designed and built a little interface card that goes between the drive and the PLC. The PLC has 24V outputs, and the drive inputs use 5V logic. It can all be done with a handful of resistors, but the card was a more elegant solution. It's DIN rail mountable and connects with terminal blocks. Let me know if you're interested. I think I still have several cards left over.

Lin Engineering will also help you size your motor; their selection is much more vast than AutomationDirect's and they will build you a custom motor if needs be. As long as you know the RPM and the torque you need, they can help you size the motor and pick the correct power supply. I've driven steppers with 24V and 72V. The higher voltage allows you to spin the motor faster without loosing torque (a characteristic of steppers is that they loose torque as they rotate faster).

-rpoet

Dl05

It can be done on the AD dl05 no problem and the PLC is only $125, and you don't need a analog card. Just use two of the inputs for increase speed and decrease speed, adding or subtracting values to the velocity value. The automation direct examples work with minor tweaking you should be able to get it working. Tech support is free and good. They also have a forum and they will help you program if needed. Just make sure the AD DL05 in a DC output type because they are the only ones that control a stepper.