PLC HELP With GE FANUC 90-30

I wrote a few codes in logixpro last night, and the lights and switches do seem pretty simple. I used one of the program's test simulations they have with I/O's to cause a switch to power a light. I am assuming that is similar to the code I will use for my PLC. Are you asking if I need example programs rootboy? If you have some that would be helpful. Thanks

He was asking if you need sample programs.

And once again, I'll second his suggestion that you get as many specialty cards in this thing as possible (with the proper things to output to). That way not only do they have simple ins and outs, they'll have the ability to go into a bit more depth, like controlling a motor or something.

We are adding a couple digital inputs and outputs cards as well as analog input and output cards so the trainer can be expanded do more at a later time. I would like to have some sample programs.

Is there a way to use a switch in the program to decide which program you want to use. Like if the switch is turned one way, then use this program, or subroutine. Or if the switch is turned the other way use this program, or subroutine. I would want the two programs to be programmed differently where the buttons and switches will produce different outputs when enabled. Is this possible?

I don't know how the GE Fanuc ones work, but I know subroutines are possible on Allen Bradley PLCs. Of course, they don't select which "program" you want, since it's all contained in one program, but you could select which portion of code you want to use.

The 90-30 supports subroutines. GE calls them "blocks". You program a Call statement in ladder to execute them. When the logic controlling the Call statement is true, the Call gets executed and the next rung evaluated is the first rung of the subroutine. Once the last rung of the subroutine gets evaluated, execution returns to the rung following the Call.

I am practicing right now with LogixPro. I do not have a GE program to use right now but I hope it is similar to the Allen Bradley. I have been working on my program and I used it so when one input is selected it jumps to a subroutine and when the other is selected it jumps to another subroutine, the input is a 2 pos switch. In each subroutine I have the switches and buttons perform different operations. When I want to turn one of the switches off on the main program to select the other input(or switch) I can not get the subroutine to reset and turn everything off in the routine that was previously selected. I know the subroutine programs to memory and is not suppose to reset, but I do not know if there is a way to reset it. Any idea what to do? thanks

I have programmed it so when I turn a switch on it jumps to a subroutine. In the subroutine I have swithes that turn on specific lights when executed. I would like the subroutine to reset if the switch that executes the subroutine is turned off or swithed to another subroutine in the main program? Is this possible or any suggestions?

I don't understand why you're practicing with LogixPro. You said earlier that you had VersaPro and could get Proficy Machine Edition. While VersaPro is not the most current GE offering, it can still be used to program your 90-30. Furthermore any files you create with it can be imported into Proficy Machine Edition when you receive your copy of that. Anything you do with LogixPro will have to be manually retyped into GE software before you can download it to the PLC.
I would like the subroutine to reset if the switch that executes the subroutine is turned off or swithed to another subroutine in the main program?
Just prior to your subroutine calls, turn all of your outputs off.

Having said that, I think subroutines will prove to be a bad way to program what you want to accomplish. When the logic controlling a subroutine call evaluates false and the subroutine is not called, any outputs controlled by the subroutine simply maintain their current state unless they are also controlled in another subroutine.

If you search this forumm using the keywords "double coil" you will find many threads explaining why you shouldn't use the same address on two or more output instructions. At your level of understanding and the expected level of the people who will be using your trainer, I strongly suggest that you follow that advice.

Mastery of a discipline is all about knowing when you can break the rules and when you should obey them. You're nowhere close to mastery of PLC programming, so for now, obey the rules.

I am using LogixPro right now because it has a good test simulation of a PLC that I think is similar to mine. It has 2 rows of 15 switches that and 2 rows of outputs containing lights. I am using it for practice. I think when I figure out what I want to do I will then start using VersaPro.

I am confused of how to incorporate all 26 inputs( 2 pos switches, 3 pos switches, 6 buttons) to work with 8 output lights. I did not know subroutines was an inefficient way to go but thanks for informing me. Any suggestions of a good place to start? I was just thinking that the subroutines would work for what I wanted to do, but is there a better way to do it? Thanks

Well, you could program something like what I posted earlier, where the output of a rung is determined by another input independant of what button you pushed.

button input selector1 output1
|----| |--------+----| |----( )----|
| selector2 output2|
+----| |----( )----|

That works for a button that has 2 possible outputs, depending on whether the selector has activated "selector1" or selector2".

You could make it more advanced by doing something like this:

button input selector1-1 selector2 output1
|----| |--------+----| |----+---| |--------( )----|
| | selector2-2 output2|
| +---| |--------( )----|
| selector1-2 selector2-1 output3|
+----| |----+---| |--------( )----|
| selector2-2 output4|
+---| |--------( )----|

That looks harder, but really, what your doing is saying this:
When someone presses the button, there are 4 possible things the button could do.
The first action is done if both selector switches are in position 1.
The second action is done if selector switch 1 is in position 1 and selector switch 2 is in position 2.
The third action is done if selector switch 1 is in position 2 and selector switch 2 is in position 1.
The fourth action is done if both selector switches are in position 2.

This is one way of programming that. You could also create a rung for each output, but that take longer to program, and is more of a pain in the ***. When you see this, you know that pushing the button could do any of those things. Rather than tracking down every rung that involves checking if the button has been pressed.

And since we know that each selector switch can only be in in state at one time, we don't need to add anything to make sure that only 1 output happens at once.

How much ladder logic do you understand? I'm not going to type out an entire introduction to ladder logic if I don't have to, lol.

I highly suggest you get connected to your PLC with the proper program, and play around with that for a while, rather than spending all your time in something else. Getting familliar with your programming environment is always a good thing, and the more things you learn about what you can do in one environment, the easier it gets to figure out a new one. This is coming form someone who has done coomputer programming in various software ranging from visual basic to turing, PHP and JAVA, using a couple different environments. After a while, learning a new environment is not a very big deal, because you have a good idea of what each one is capable of. The same thing goes for PLC programming software. The more your familiar with, the easier it gets to learn a new one.

Last edited:
I am using LogixPro right now because it has a good test simulation of a PLC that I think is similar to mine.
If you have the GE PLC hardware and programming software, why do you think practicing on an Allen Bradley simulation is going to more helpful than practicing with the PLC hardware you're actually going to be using? You said all you're going to be working with is switches and lights. As long as they're wired correctly, you're not going to break anything. If you screw up the program, the only damage is to your ego.

I am waiting for a couple parts to get in before I can fully test the GE Fanuc PLC. Any programming I do with VersaPro I can not test with my PLC, I am waiting on a couple input and output cards. Sorry I did not tell you I did not have all the parts for my PLC. Right now I am practicing with the Allen Bradley Software.

I had been programming as BOBBIAS suggested but I have to use each light a couple times on different rungs because I only have 8 lights/outputs. For those lights to be energized every input on the rungs where that light is an output every input must be turned on associated with that output or light. I do not want it to work like that. I want the light to turn on when different inputs are selected although the light is an output for more than one combination of inputs.

I have tried that, I have a lot of inputs for little outputs, and trying to figure out how to use them.
Here is a little of what I was trying to do

Button 1 Sel 2-1 output1
----| |--------+----| |----( )----|

| sel 2 -2 output2|

+----| |----( )----|

Button 1 Sel 2-1 output1
----|/|--------+----| |----( )----|

| sel2-2 output2|

+----| |----( )----|

If the same output is used everything before it must be true to energize. Therefore this doesn't work. My layout is not exactly like this but since I only have a few output lights I have to reuse. And if output1 wants to turn on it will not.