PLC Lockout For Non-Payment

Bernie,

If you did this by using a coded word and compairitave contact, be sure to switch the coded word location/address on the next machine you sell to this customer, or they'll be able to look it up with the LCD. Also if you use the calander they can change the the date with the LCD.

Actually, after carefully considering the legal, political, and technical ramifications, we dropped the idea alltogeather. In Michigan, if the machine is in anyway bolted to the ground it becomes a "fixture" or part of "real property", (a component of the real-estate). That allows the vendor/supplier to use the MI construction lien law to place a lien on the property, and eventually forclose on the entire property if necessary. That by it's self seems to be pretty effective. The only problem is that you cant lein goverment property. Check your local lein laws.

I don't know what the situation is in the US , but in the UK , you can place a lien on someones property that you have in your possession , and retain title on property that is someone's premises , but the truth of the matter is that if an overseas customer doesn't want to pay you , LOC or not , you can be a bit stumped - some of our customers in India and China do this by way of business , they consider it part of the game , of course in this case , we know who they are , and there is generally only 10% left to be settled at the end of commissioning . With people like this , it is sometimes necessary to play a bit dirty , either that , or consistantly lose money . Whilst it isn't nice , all PLC's are supplied on site with no software , which is carried by the commissioning engineer . When commissioning is complete , and the customer signs the protocol papers , then all software is handed over , drawings and other info . No Money , No Honey .
I have recovered in excess of USD 300,000 this year alone , by using these tactics . Dependant on the customers attitude , block can also be left locked or unlocked , please remember , your customer (dependant on contract) purchased the right to use the software , but not to sell it on , or decompile it for other equipment .