PLC output surge suppressor

pg207

i have A-B 1769-OW16 output card wired to a contactor with a 1.2A inrush current. i want to connect a surge suppressor parallel to the load (contactor). possibly an MOV (metal Oxide Varistor). any suggestion as to which surge suppressor would be good for this? A-B part number or any manufacturer would be appreciated. thanks!

I would largely base my choice on the design of the terminals of the contactor coil. Most mfg. offer one (surge suppressor) that fits nicely right on the coil terminals, or snaps into the housing with short leads. What is the maker and part number of your contactor?

I have used Quencharc suppressors for a variety of AC controls situations:
http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/cornell-dubilier-quencharc-caps/744

They are pretty versatile and reliable in my experience.

Last edited:
use an isolating relay that is enabled by the PLC output is one option

You still should have surge protection to protect the isolating
relays contacts. If the isolating relay is an electro-mechanical
relay ( inductive load) you still should have surge protection to protect the PLC.