PLC output to Powerflex 40 input

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if it is possible to wire an output from PLC to the start enable terminal (2) on the powerflex 40. as far as i can see in the manuals it seems you can only use a pushbutton wired directly to the drive. i would like to create logic in the plc and send and output to the drive to start enable without using a ethernet card on the drive.

Thanks

Yes you can use a dry contact like a 1746-OW8I module or a relay and use the VFDs terminals 2 and 11 on the normally open contact. You can also use an output from a DC output card if you tie the VFD DC common terminal 4 to your power supplies DC common/0vdc. Do not tie in the VFDs supply terminal 11 as it has it's own 24vdc supply.

Building upon Jax,

You could have the PLC enable a relay that uses the VFD's own 24V power supply to switch the VFD enable. This way you eliminate the possibility of two different potentials, but add the complexity of more hardware.