PLC Serial Issue with Modicon 984 and Modsoft 2.21

PLC Offshore

PLC Serial Connectivity Issue with a Modicon 984 and Modsoft 2.21

Hello all from PLCtalk.net, wondering if someone has any words of wisdom to share with us. Just a little briefing, we are currently in a vessel off the coast of Japan and have the Modicon 984 controller and Modsoft V2.21 running on an old 48MB Windows 98 Laptop. Currently we have no issues connecting to the Modicon 984 unit VIA serial cable but this laptop is on her last legs and we have been trying to migrate the software over to another win98 machine. ( I know I know, why are we using windows 98 but as I said we are out to sea so our options are limited).

We cannot for the life of us get the Modsoft to connect VIA serial to the Controller on the second Windows 98 machine. We've installed Modsoft from version 2.1 and upgraded it to 2.21, bench marked all the same settings as the laptop and we still get the Error Code 199. Configured and tested all serial ports, they all work fine, adjusted buffers and file sizes but still no go. This has plagued us for the last 3 days!!

Can anyone speculate on this issue? We have a hunch that the handshake between the Controller and Software is off time and therefore not handing off but again this is just speculation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

If you can still use the other programmer, use it to change the plc modbus port from rtu mode to ascii mode. Then change the connection setting in the programmer to ascii. Ascii mode although slower does not rely on precise timing for the messages. In fact this trick lets me use ProWorxPlus under winXP to support some old 984 systems