PLC - VFD IO Connections

PaulGG

Hey all,

We are trying to interface a CompactLogix L35E with a Parker 590 DC Drive.

My main question is, can we connect the common from the VFD control board (pin A1, B1, or C1) to our 24VDC common? I've attached a couple connection diagrams from the VFD manual for reference.

If we can, we would be able to power the start (C3) and enable (C5) directly from our relay output card (1769-OW16) using our 24V supply without the need of interposing relays.

We will also be controlling Speed Setpoint (A4) which I have no idea how we would do without connecting commons. We are using a 1769-IF4OF2F (both AI and AO) card to control and monitor speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parker VFD IO Connections 2.jpg

Attachments

• Parker VFD IO Connections.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 28
Looks like the drive can supply 24V dc 200 ma. is that not enough for your needs? If it is you can keep the control voltages separate.

Yes you can do that. We do it all the time, except when we place the drives in a network.

Thanks for the responses!

The relay output card we're using doesn't have a V+/V- per channel. It has one V+/8 channels, so we can't connect the VFD's +24V to the card without basically assigning 8 channels to the VFD (we only need 2 channels, start and enable) and I don't want to buy extra equipment if I don't have to.

My other question would be - would I be correct in assuming the A1, B1, and C1 pins are connected internally? Unless there is some reason they might isolate the digital section of the control board from the analog section. I've tried reaching out to the manufacturer but they are unresponsive.

Thanks!

usually they are the same but if you are not sure and if you don't have the drive to measure them, just connect all of them together to the panel 0V.

Of course you can connect one output of the plc to the drive input. When you close one of the output relays of the plc, you will be connecting your drive input to the panel 24Vdc and the drive will start. the other plc outputs are free for other things.

try this number

Thanks for the responses!

The relay output card we're using doesn't have a V+/V- per channel. It has one V+/8 channels, so we can't connect the VFD's +24V to the card without basically assigning 8 channels to the VFD (we only need 2 channels, start and enable) and I don't want to buy extra equipment if I don't have to.

My other question would be - would I be correct in assuming the A1, B1, and C1 pins are connected internally? Unless there is some reason they might isolate the digital section of the control board from the analog section. I've tried reaching out to the manufacturer but they are unresponsive.

Thanks!
Yes they are tied together.
Ph: (704) 588-3246 Ask for Larry in Tech support.

Also If you don't have it download the DSE lite software and Buy a
Parker SSD Drives # CM351909 Programming Cable
Net Price Each ……… $ 85.00 each
Delivery: Stock at the factory, subject to prior sale