PLC vs CNC. Mazatrol CAM 2. Simply Retrofit?

NoirEd

Hi mi name is Eduardo Fernandez i am a electrical engineer at Leitner-Poma. I work on control systems for ski lift, gondolas, etc. We use AB for everything. So far so good, though i am still learning my way around PLCs. We are trying to "retrofit" a old Mazak VQC 30/B milling machine

http://www.wotol.com/1-mazak-vqc-30-...prod_id/107174

The control system (Mazatrol CAM M-2) it's in a really bad shape and we want to upgrade and run this machine using some of the spare AB PLCs that we already have. I am aware of the difference between CNC and PLCs in fact I do agree that this kind of project is a waste of time and maybe money, to implement a CNC application using a PLC arrangement. The reason that we are attempting this is because the way they use the machine here at Leitner Poma's mechanical shop is so simple that they don't need all the fancy stuff that you are able to do using CNC. They just use the Mazak to smoothen the surface of our bull wheels. The machine doesn't even have 3 axis control anymore, cause the guys from the shop don't need it. Basically the just make the bull wheel piece spin, set a cut height and go in straight line grinding the surface of the bull wheel. Just Polishing it and making it smoother for the brakes grip...that's it. So it's just two axis control and not even simultaneous from what i know. But they want to keep the mechanical part of the machine, motors, hydraulic, etc. Cause it's working just fine the control system is the one that is causing trouble. They want to replace the CNC control with a PLC and "downgrade" the capabilities of this machine, why? i don't know. So since this would be the first time using a motion control application in Logix for me. I want to know: Can Logix motion control be able to pull this application off? Where can i find some motion control tutorials for RS logix? To run the machine would it be profitable? Is it worth it? Wouldn't it be better to use a different approach or solution?

P.S. I can provide and example of the G-Code program we are using so you can see if it can be "replace" using Rs logix 5000. Sorry, if my english is not perfect i am originally from Mexico City.