Plc5/15

Depending on your processor, the PLC/5 can support up to 16 main control programs (MCP). Each MCP can have multiple subroutines, and they can also have local memory. To see what MCPs are configured open the processor status file from the project tree in the left hand pane of Logix5 (+Project -> +Controller -> Processor Status. Click on the MCP tab. Here you will see which ladder files are configured as MCPs.

Edit, I just noticed you are asking about a 5/15. I think the 5/15 only allows one MCP.

Last edited:
What is the best way to tell how many MCP's is on a processor? and, do I select a different MCP in the controller properties...? Thanks.

you don't necessarily have to use MCP's.

you can write the plc code to goto different sections of the program based on selector switches, bar code readings, test fixture id, and a host of other things. One main program, multiple subroutines, and one section for outputs.

I did this for several companies in another life.

regards,
james

James;
I was just curious about the subject because I heard somewhere that a 5 can hold more than one main program.

Alaric;
I think you're right; previously, I checked the processor status and did not find an MCP tab. Thanks for the input.

Each MCP has an enable/disable bit in S:79. Clear the bit to run the MCP, set the bit to disable the MCP. MCP's execute in the order in which they are listed in words S80 thru S:125 as shown on the MCP tab.

If you want to see what the MCP tab looks like then create a new blank project and select an Enhanced PLC5/20 as your processor. Then with the MCP tab open click the Help button for more information.

Hold on here folks......the OP said he had a PLC-5/15. That makes this a Classic PLC-5. Multiple MCPs is a feature only in the Enhanced PLC-5.

Sorry to send you off on a wild goose chase Zephyr. Your controller can only have one MCP. Now, you can certainly have subroutines that affect what runs when. But, the MCP is not an option unless you upgrade to a newer model PLC-5.

If your PLC-5 has a big 25-pin serial port, then it is an enhanced unit. The Classic had a 15-pin DH+ port (PCL) that sometimes gets mistaken for a serial port.

OG

I don't think there was a wild goose chase - based on post 5 it looks like the OP was curious about the feature. Even though now days I mostly use controllogix I love working with those PLC/5s. Its fun to sometimes go back and refresh my memory.