PLC5 to CompactLogix communication

OK so I talked to the customer about a retrofit. They have a 5/40 with digital and analog in the chassis, PF70, and Flex on RIO not sure what all is on the flex network.
So my thoughts are a ControlNet adapter in the local PLC5 chassis. In the CLX chassis a CNB, DHRIO, just for this system. I THINK there are about 5 drives on RIO. Notice I said THINK. I remember hearing that the magic number was 8 or less nodes on a DHRIO card.

So with all that said tell me where I screwed up and what I need to do to fix it before I quote this system.

The PLC will be the easy part.

This is a retro-fit to a running machine?

If so, you need to be more concerned with the drives they are using...much more concerned...That where the finer points of the operation are likely to be handled. Even if you are keeping them, make sure you have copies of all of the parameters, hardware (dipswitch, jumper) settings, and wiring in case something goes awry during the changeover.

Last edited:
awry during the changeover. What do you mean? I have never had a start-up not go exactly as planned.
I wasn't really concerned with the drives as long as the programming side stays like it is in the 5.

awry during the changeover. What do you mean? I have never had a start-up not go exactly as planned.
I wasn't really concerned with the drives as long as the programming side stays like it is in the 5.

So you are replacing wire for wire a PLC-5 with a Controllogix? Or, are you adding a winder to an existing system, and keeping both PLCs?

I guess I am confused whether you are changing only the PLC, the whole control system, or just adding a new process to an existing web handling line, or something else entirely...Back up and paint me a picture again, please.

I had one experience with upgrading a drive in a winder, and before I waded off into it too deep, i studied the machine to find two frequency references between two of the drives, and a relatively complex winder algorithm in one of them with external presets hardwired to select core diameters... All three of the drives were very exacting in how they needed to be set up and programmed or the system would not run worth a **** at all.

Half breed cluster of a system. The original line has a 5 running it all. The new winder and material handling robot are being build across the big waters. The guys over in Europe have this winder as a stand-alone system. With the small exception of the drive winder telling the line master when to run. To start the line, the line will ask the winder if all the condition are done. After starting the winder drive the rest of the line can start

kind of odd way of doing things. I prefer to have the 1 PLC on the line. I would like to have the CLX as the master and the Compact as a Slave. The problem is I have they will only have 1 week from shutdown to start-up.