Please help with DF1 to DH+ Passthrough

Can you post your .rss file(zip it first) for SLC#1 and a screen shot of RSlinx's configuration?

The KF3 device is not the one to use if passing thru from DF1 to DH+.

Nothing sticks out with your screen shots. To me anyway.

Can you post the same for SLC#2.

Can you post the configuration for channel 1 also both controllers?

Have you installed the resistors yet? Baud rate of channel 1?

Last edited:
My tried eyes don't see anything to stop this from working hopefully somone else will.

See pdfs below for more info on signal hop and firmware. What is the firmware of your processor?

You might try disabling the passthru on SLC#2 , although I don't think it's causing your problem. But?

I've been doing other things for the past couple of weeks. Today I have spent some considerable time playing with comms settings and changing around anything possible, even if it remotely seemed possible that it may be the issue. I have a laptop that I use in the field and when I tried using it to communicate through my DF1 passthrough it worked perfectly, just as it should. Based on this, I have deduced that the issue is with linx itself. Now I just need help getting linx working right on this desktop so I can put this to rest.

The only odd thing with this linx install was that I had to remove SP3 from this machine so I could use the PIC driver with my 1761 NET AIC to get on my DH-485 network. The 1747/PIC - AIC+ Driver is not available on XP machines running SP3. Could this have some how adversly affected my linx communications and if so what do i do now?

The only odd thing with this linx install was that I had to remove SP3 from this machine so I could use the PIC driver with my 1761 NET AIC to get on my DH-485 network. The 1747/PIC - AIC+ Driver is not available on XP machines running SP3. Could this have some how adversly affected my linx communications and if so what do i do now?

Could be. See link below

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63919

MAYDAY MAYDAY!!!! I have uninstalled RSlinx, re-instaled Windows XP SP3, re-installed linx, removed it again, removed all the eds files, you name it. Linx still has the availability of the PIC driver, which i beleive it should not with SP3 Installed, but no matter what I can't get it to pass-through. This is clearly a linx issue, but I am all out of ideas. I just spent 4 hours of my Saturday off trying to get this done and what a waste! Does ANYONE have any insight?

I'm having trouble reading through this thread and figuring out exactly what you are attempting to do, and what you've had success doing.

What precisely are you attempting to do today ?

I'll add one important thing: With SLC passthrough I've only ever passed through ONE controller.

Last edited:
The short answer is - I am trying to get all of my other noeds to show up in RSLinx.

I am trying to get data into excel through DDE links. I had a DH-485 network in place using 1761-NET-AIC converters, but the data was too slow. I only needed high speed data from 2 SLC 5/04's, so I daisy chained the 2 5/04's together with blue hose, along with the 2 panelviews which were already connected to each one. (DH+) I removed both the SLC 5/04's from the DH-485 network. I enabled DF1 Passthrough on SLC #1, and I am connected to it through the DF1 port. Only that 5/04 shows up in RSWho; neither the other SLC 5/04 or 2 Panelviews show up. I have changed my device type to KF2 and still nothing. When I hook my laptop up to it, (A different PC) all works fine.

I suspect that the original install of linx caused an issue due to the fact that I originally tried going online through the DH-485 that was already here. RSLinx wouldn't allow me to install the 1747 PIC driver. When I learned that it was due to Windows XP Service Pack 3, I uninstalled SP3 from this PC, and re-installed linx. That allowed me to use the 1747-PIC driver and go online with any node using the RS-485 network, but that was when I learned that DH485 was just too slow for what I was trying to do. I have re-installed Windows SP3 once I figured out that Linx is the issue. I was hoping to see that the PIC driver was once again not available, but it's still in the list of available drivers and I think that may be a clue. I am just stumped!

Last edited:
Let's clarify a few more things:

The 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver will always be available for configuration, no matter what service pack you are running. It just won't work if you have the Windows XP Service Pack 3 "serenum.sys" driver installed.

The DF1 Point to Point driver with "SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView" as the Device Type works like a two-node network where RSLinx is Node 0 and the SLC is Node 1.

The DF1 Point to Point driver with "1770-KF2" as the Device Type works like a multi-node network where RSLinx is Node 0 and it tries to browse multiple other Nodes. If the SLC is set for "DF1 Passthrough" then it compares the destination address on every packet to its DH+ address (not its DF1 address).

If the DH+ address of the SLC matches the destination address, it responds to it. If not, it passes the packet on to the DH+ network.

Let's clarify a few more things:

The 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver will always be available for configuration, no matter what service pack you are running. It just won't work if you have the Windows XP Service Pack 3 "serenum.sys" driver installed.

The DF1 Point to Point driver with "SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView" as the Device Type works like a two-node network where RSLinx is Node 0 and the SLC is Node 1.

The DF1 Point to Point driver with "1770-KF2" as the Device Type works like a multi-node network where RSLinx is Node 0 and it tries to browse multiple other Nodes. If the SLC is set for "DF1 Passthrough" then it compares the destination address on every packet to its DH+ address (not its DF1 address).

If the DH+ address of the SLC matches the destination address, it responds to it. If not, it passes the packet on to the DH+ network.
I wish that helped =(

One weird thing...when I was playing with settings I once put it on KF3 device, and I understand that that's the wrong driver, however when using that device type, all of the noeds show up.

Thank you for that concise explanation.

What you want now, as I understand, is an ordinary DF1 to DH+ passthrough system.

RSLinx needs to have just the DF1 Full Duplex point-to-point driver configured. Do not configure any other drivers that might try to use the serial port, especially the 1747-PIC driver. Disabling the PIC driver isn't enough; it has to be deleted and you need to reboot.

The Device Type in the RSLinx driver needs to be "1770-KF2/1785-KE".

It sounds like the key sentence is "when I hook up my laptop to it, everything is fine".

Because you can browse the first SLC, it sounds like the physical serial port is OK and the Windows serial driver is OK.

There might be something wrong with the way that RSLinx Classic is remembering your configuration. The standard way to fix this is to delete the Harmony.HRC and Harmony.RSH files that reside in the /RSCOMMON directory, then restart RSLinx.

The original 1770-KF2 was a Data Highway/Data Highway Plus interface with an RS-232 port on one side and a DH/DH+ port on the other.

The original 1770-KF3 was the same thing, for Data Highway 485.

So the drivers work in a similar way, but the "KF2" driver uses the command set for DH+ and the "KF3" driver uses the command set for DH485. It's possible that the browse commands for both networks are the same. I've never tried using the wrong driver to see what happens.

Verify that your RSLinx driver is configured as Node 00. That should make SLC#1 show up as Node 01 and SLC#2 show up as Node 10 (octal).

Last edited: