Please Review - DirectSOFT5 Program

Hey guys, here's what I have done. I am so close I think. Only have a few small issues.

1) I have to force ON X2 and C3 - not sure why.
2) I haven't yet been able to sync my HMI and PLC accumulating time. I am trying to have the HMI show a time clock showing how much time is left in the process. Which would entitle adding the accumulated time left. Right?

Anyways here's the program, note that it seems like everyone has a diff way to program. This Auto directs software is def diff than RSLogix.

Any thoughts?

1) Check rung 7. Online monitoring. Can you post a color PDF?
2) Suspect you need a Double Word to store the sum of the timers.
Hope others will expand on this.

No problem, here is the best PDF I can provide here at work. I think you might be right about the double word. Not sure how to handle that. Guess I have some studying to do. Thanks for your input.

I want to thank all of you for your time, I appreciate everything you have contributed. I will take what I have received and work on this. I think I actually got more confused trying to implement different solutions so I will do some solo work and discover the solution again thanks.

1) I have to force ON X2 and C3 - not sure why.
Possibly you have your X3 Auto Stop instruction "reversed" on Rung 7. Most physical STOP buttons are Normally Closed, meaning that the PLC instruction MUST appear to be "normally open" so that it returns a 1 when the NC physical button is NOT pressed.

Looking at your Tumbler FWD/REV and UP/DWN Motor rungs, some logic appears to be sort of risky or poorly planned. For example, to start the Tumbler FWD Motor on Rung 3, I would check the status of the Tumbler REV Motor (Y2), not the Tumbler REV switch (X5). Y2 could be ON because of some other reason (latched or forced or stuck even if X5 is OFF), and you do not want to energize both FWD and REV outputs at the same time. It is best to interlock your OUTPUTS, not your INPUTS. Input switches can get changed or stuck or broken, and really the important thing is not to run the motor both ways at once, which often results in a short-circuit.

In other words, look at the wheels to see where the vehicle is going, not the turn signals that could be WRONG - use the RESULTS or OUTPUTS where possible, not the INTENTIONS (INPUTS). So use a contact from your Y2 to prevent Y1 from starting when Y2 is ON, and vice-versa. This same logical reasoning applies to the UP/DWN Outputs Y3 and Y4.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I am spending some time today to edit the program, thanks everyone for your help.