possibilities with AB smartguard600?

smf

Hi

We're doing some safety related jobs and i wonder what posibilities the Allen Bradley's smartguard600 have?

it's mostly about connecting some emergency stops, light curtains & safety gates with key locks. I'm pretty sure it works perfect for the emergency stops & light curtains but what about the safety gates, can i add some none safety related functions to them? i want to controll the locking of the gates, have buttons to ask for permission to open the gate and such other simple things. Is't possible with just a smartguard or do i need some other equipment?

Possibly. Take a look at these Smartguard manuals from the A-B website

User Manual 1752-um001
Safety reference manual 1752-rm001
Brochure 1752-pp001
Installation guide 1752-in001

Hi Jstolaruk

I have been taking a look in different manuals etc but as it seems to me the smartguard600 is not suitable for this kind of tasks alone.

In the examples i have found the smartguard works togheter with other plc controllers to create more advanced tasks than breaking up the safety outputs.
I have been told by the salesmen at rockwell that this controller can do some stuff but to me it looks like they have been telling lies again as usual.

The Smartguard 600, is handy at times to tie safety routines together; But, the function block programming is very limited, and difficult to work with, if you want to do much more than normal safety relay/Muting with it.

Hence my reply of "possibly" without knowing a lot of detail about your application. I was looking at using it for some machinery I'm building up now but decided to go with a Guardlogix so that all programming was kept in one device.

I would prefer to go with an guardlogix too or some totaly other brand if smartguard is not suitable at all. it's about putting up a fence and some gates around existing machinery at a saw mill with different safety zones and buttons at every gate for open/lock/reset and some lamp indicators when gates are open/can be reseted and one HMI for troubleshooting etc

The Smartguard 600, is handy at times to tie safety routines together; But, the function block programming is very limited, and difficult to work with, if you want to do much more than normal safety relay/Muting with it.
I disagree with this assessment. I've used the Smartguard 600 and found it to be very functional and relatively easy to configure. The function-block programming is straightforward and can handle most rudimentary logic. That said, it's not as easy as programming a typical PLC in ladder logic, nor is it meant to be. Program changes require multiple confirmations since safety is at stake, and stored documentation is minimal. On my last project I did use some of the Smartguard I/O as non-safety since I ran out of outputs on my main PLC, no problems.

The Smartguard is a networkable controller, and the price reflects that. If you just need a standalone device, check out the Omron G9SP which is very similar (the Smartguard 600 along with the Omron NE1A and G9SP were all developed together). You can also download a demo of the programming software, which has a simulator so you could determine if the function block programming is appropriate for your application.

Refer to this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61814