Powerflex 40 F005 fault

What is the part number of your GS2?

Also you do realize that the GS2 is basically end of life with AD right?

the link to the resistor I just posted show this in the description...

Braking resistor, 300W, 400 ohm, encapsulated. For use with GS2/GS3-42P0 and GS2-51P0/52P0/53P0/55P0/57P5 AC drives.

the link to the resistor I just posted show this in the description...

Braking resistor, 300W, 400 ohm, encapsulated. For use with GS2/GS3-42P0 and GS2-51P0/52P0/53P0/55P0/57P5 AC drives.

Thanks Dock,

I just hooked up the drive to another fan that the pf40 was bad on and it is running just fine. I will still order some of the BR. And install them on my other drives I will be ordering.

I am still unsure as to why I would need a BR as my fan is not slowing down, it is just trying start moving. I will do some follow up reading after this post to grasp the concept or make myself not feel stupid when I understand it.

Also to answer your one question about how fast I am spinning the pot. I am barely moving it AND acceleration is set to 30 seconds and I only would see about 2hz then OV

What's the distance from drive to motor? BAF now has verbiage in their manual not to exceed 400ft to "avoid nuisance tripping". That might be indicative of their having had cable capacitance issues. As the cables pass next to each other, the pulses of the PWM can cause them to act like weak capacitors. But with distance, that capacitance can increase to the point of causing voltage to get back into the drive where is charges up the DC bus.

What's the distance from drive to motor? BAF now has verbiage in their manual not to exceed 400ft to "avoid nuisance tripping". That might be indicative of their having had cable capacitance issues. As the cables pass next to each other, the pulses of the PWM can cause them to act like weak capacitors. But with distance, that capacitance can increase to the point of causing voltage to get back into the drive where is charges up the DC bus.

Now this is a theory I could possibly start looking into. I would actually have to measure and check but I don't think I am pushing anything close to that. But there are NO cables from the drive to the motors running the fans it is 14 gauge wire ran through conduit, with multiple wires from different motors ran through then same pipe. These fans were installed in 2006.

A megohmeter is your friend. While you have the motor leads unhooked, do an insulation test on the wiring and motors to ensure you have not perforated the THHN wire over the years resulting in leakage current to ground. I have seen this issue with PF4's result in OC and OV faults. The root cause was failing 600V THHN wire between the VFDs and conveyor motors. The boss would not let me upgrade the wire...too expensive...I guess down time is free...I don't work there any more... :)

I would not ramp to stop for these fans or worry about braking resistors. I would set the accel time pretty high so that if there is a noisy pot, at least the drive would not attempt to suddenly jump to follow it.

Last edited: