PowerFlex 755 module duplication in a running 1756-L8x processor

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good afternoon folks,

We have twin PowerFlex 755 480V, 14A AC drives (v14.005 fw) with embedded Ethernet that perform the same function side by side using duplicate motors. The first one was added into our 1756-L82E (v30.011 fw) processor the other day and we are now ready to put the second one into service.

We know that we can do this offline and download the processor program but downtime on this system is hard to come by. How can we do this while the processor is online? We are looking for a way to copy/paste all of the drive parameters from drive A into drive B to avoid potentially "fat fingering" a setting.

The module definition cannot be copy/pasted in Studio5000 whilst online - already tried that. Do we have to create the module online in Studio5000 and then use CCW to transfer the parameters over, or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Since you have ethernet, just put both drives on your IO config tree, get the parameters changed on one copy to other in the io config tree. You can also set ADC so the parameters stay the same going to/from run mode.

Can you use discover the module in studio? Before you do this just make sure you can see it in rslinx, if you see it in rslinx then should be able to discover it under the io config tab option.

As long as the drive is stopped can you change most parameters. I think the IP has to be changed by that ethernet switch wheel.

...get the parameters changed on one copy to other in the io config tree.
What do you use to copy the parameters from one drive to another? I don't see a way to do that in Studio 5000.

Can you use discover the module in studio? Before you do this just make sure you can see it in rslinx, if you see it in rslinx then should be able to discover it under the io config tab option.
The 2nd drive isn't online yet. We're planning to power it up on the bench to set up IP address & parameters prior to install.

Thanks,

I had this same situation with *several* PowerFlex 753s and never found a good way to do it without a controller download.

You can copy/paste drive instances in the I/O tree while offline, as I recall. That should make the new instance aware of all of the parameters it should be expecting. But a controller download and subsequent drive upload ('match config' or 'match parameters' I think is what it's called in the Studio 5000 'Drive Properties' window) was always necessary.

If you do find a way, post it here. Or maybe call your distributor or Tech Support for guidance.

Thanks glennz,
I've been working with my distributor but the results have been less than stellar. They did finally send me a technote that didn't show up in my initial search online.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1131342

Reading through this and its myriad caveats has me thinking that the risk of possibly faulting the online processor is not worth it. I have a printout of another technote from a few years ago that gave a different way of doing it but I cannot find it on the knowledgebase any more, so I'm guessing it's no longer valid.

If you can view the online drive, go to parameters, push the nondefault button, now you have all the parameters that are non default. Either use your snipping tool under windows or whatever method you have to view your nondefault. Or use the csv export or print them out that is shown in top right of tab.

One off the solution would be:
1. Use the copycat function of the HIM on VFD A;
2. Install the HIM of VFD A on VFD B and copy the parameters in VFD B. You might need to change the IP address manually at that point;
3. Create your VFD online in your I/O tree;
4. Go to "Change";
4. Select "Match Drive" (You must have your VFD in RSLinx to do that);
5. Select your VFD in RSLinx and the parameter from VFD B will be uploaded to Studio 5000.

I had some issue a couple of years ago with Studio 5000 V30 where I was not able to match some of the paramters if a VFD and the action failed. It was cause by the fact that a VFD with the same firmware version was never dowloaded in the processor. If both of your VFD are the same firmware, you should not have any issue. This issue was resolved in Studio 5000 V31.

We had this exact scenario noted in that technote happen yesterday when trying to add a 755 to an online running processor in V32. Will try adding tomorrow during a shutdown as the processor crashing is not something we wish to re-create! Thanks for the link to that technote. Explained some of the results we saw. Not only faulted the processor, but had to download the program back in to get it back online.