printing alarm list

jimcav

Sorry this will be a bit long. We have a customer that wants to print the alarms that happen during a batch or run. I will be using the control logix platform with an l61 processor. After talking to ab they said finding a printer that supports PCL3 would be hard to find. I would be connecting the printer to the panel view plus touch screen. ab historian would be over kill. Any thoughts on how I could print alarms for each batch that they run?

1) My two cents, make an array, use a fifo inside your plc programming, put your alarms including time and date (use gsv), when your batch is finish use a push button in your plc program to reformat your array to be sent to the print port of PLC.
2)More expensive way: use and OPC client ( rslinx is the opc server), use printing by events ( when an alarm occurs) this data is written in and excel report for instance. A good example is XLReporter from www.sytech.com you can try it for free, there are other options.

3) Try if PV is compatible with those printers similar to the ones used on Point of sale, they are serial, in this case the fifo mentioned in (1) is on the screen and has to be printed on the serial printer.

Attached you will find a screen for one of my PV, this is a fifo used fo production but can be used for alarms, I´m using XLReporter.

fifo.jpg