Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Not at All, on a PC

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
I recently visited a plant that did not print outhard copies of anything, logic, drawings, etc. Obviously, when they had problems, the were compounded. In an effort to bring them into the 90's, or was it the 80's, I gave them a few recommendations.

I have usually used a continuous form feed printer. I have used ink jets and laser jets, but don't always like were the page breaks.

So, what do you guys use (or prefer) these days?

regards.....kc

Page breaks are done by the printer driver/print options of the software. All the form aspects, except maybe printing landscape or portrait, are done within the software...ie margins, page breaks, fonts etc.

Last edited:
Usually print out on A4, which is the standard where I work.
Generally, this is done only after all commissioning is completed.
Generally, the paper is used only in training or planning changes.
Modern software, such as Step 7, normally has superior search functions to any paper copy, and is much easier to follow the logic than older (generally dos based) software. My opinion only.

We generally dont provide the field with the program printout, a troubleshooting chart, and adjustment procedures. We do provide a hardcopy of the panel and field wiring diagrams on 11" x 17". They are placed in a folder in the panel-pocket.

I'm in the process of re-formatting the diagrams so we can print them on a full sheet PVC self adheasive labels so they can be wallpapered on the inside of the panel cover. That way they cant grow legs..

PLC program and drawings are printed to a PDF file. These files are placed in a cataloged location on the server. Needed access is given to the files. Engineering maintains a current PDF copy of the program and drawings on the server - only the most current version is kept there. Past revisions are archived elsewhere. Whenever a print out is needed, the maintenance techs know where to get a current and up to date copy. If maintenance makes a change or discovers something that is incorrect or needs additional information on the drawing, they submit a red-lined drawing or engineering change order and we update it.

Myself & 1 other do all the controls work for a fairly large facility. We keep the ladder and associated drawings on the server, with a shared copy for viewing, and all of the original intact drawings & ladder in a main file with limited access.

We toss a current copy printed out on a Xerox 7700 in each panel.

rsdoran said:
Page breaks are done by the printer driver/print options of the software.

I don't like it when a complex rung is split on to two pages.

Example: Where one or two lines of inputs are broke off from another one or two lines, all merged into one output.

Maybe this doesn't happen with all programs. It does a lot with GE. Most other brands of plc's I deal with are generally pretty simple as far as programs goe.

regards.....kc

1. Quit using LogicMaster
2. As mentioned print to pdf then adjust as needed if the software does not have the appropriate options.

Do not print anything anymore except PDF for manuals and CDs for, mostly, clowns that cannot understand what they print out. Looks impressive I guess.

If I have too, continuous US fanfold on my trusty OLD canon BJC5500.

Correction of my previous post:

We generally dont provide the field with the program printout. We do provide a troubleshooting chart, and adjustment procedures and a hardcopy of the panel and field wiring diagrams on 11" x 17".

Since my programs are not used outside our plants, we hard copy to 8.5 X 11 paper and place the program in a 3-ring binder for each line or piece of equipment that also has the drawings and schematics in it. We also keep a copy of the program on our servers, which are backed-up nightly by the IT gang. Our PM program dictates that we grab the currently running program from every Processor in each plant and shoot it onto the servers once every quarter. Since I'm the one who does all this, I maintain the 3-rings and make sure the documentation is accurate and current.

I haven't made hard copies for a long time. The customers get the source code anyway, so if they want a copy, they can print one out I suppose.

The last couple of years I have been outputting all documentation in PDF form, and that has been working great. Adobe Reader 7.0 has a fantastic search function, and makes searching for everything including indirect and local variables a breeze. Even I use it for troubleshooting most of the time rather than Step 7.

I place a binder with 11X17 schematic drawings (electrical and hydraulic) in the cabinet before shipping.

I provide several 3-ring binders with programs printed out on 8.5x11 paper. All the sheets are in plastic sheet protectors and not hole punched.

Most modern software will print the way you want. I know RSLogix has an option to not split rungs on different pages.

Me too. We prefer to send documents in PDF format.

It is a nightmare when it is required to provide bound copies of the program. Todays PLC programs are so huge that it takes many binders to keep the program. And small updates to the programs are so common that the printer would have to work non-stop to keep up.

Every platform that I have worked on in the Gulf of Mexico has had a hard copy of its PLC program. When Hurricane Ivan hit us last year, the laptop containing our plc program was in our office. That office was beat to pieces by the waves and most of it washed overboard. If it weren't for our company being able to get a copy from the previous platform owner, the hard copy would be all we had. I guess the decision should be based on the potential for disaster.

Also I'm new to plc programming but when I code in a high level language, I print out my programs everytime i make a major change because it makes debugging easier. On screen I can only see so many lines at a time so i like to be able to spread out the printed version and make notes on the paper when I find the bugs I'm looking for ( or luck out and find ones I'm not looking for ).

It certainly never hurts to have a hardcopy of anything.