Probably a silly question about wireless.

JesperMP said:
As to the price difference, when I checked another vendor (OvisLink) then their cheapest Wireless Router was less expensive than their cheapest Access Point (!).

Can the explanation be that the dedicated Access Points have better wireless functionality or performance than the all-in-one router models ?

This is just a theory, but my guess would be they sell more routers than access points. Most people I know, including myself, use these things to distribute their internet access to multiple computers in their house. Why buy a router and access point seperately when you can buy one unit to do it all. So if they are selling more routers they'll buy more components in bulk and get them for less cost. Then they can pass those savings onto the consumer.

Just a theory.

Technically I am not sure marius differences are entirely correct.

A router can be used to setup a LAN, my home network, using a router, allows something like 255 computers to be connected together offering file, printer sharing and access to the internet thru cable. If the plcs will need to share data this allows a direct connection within the an independent LAN.

An accesspoint device is a direct link to an Ethernet wired network...ie basically its direct access to a wired network. As I mentioned my school offers it for connection to the Internet but it does not have to involve the Internet.

Thats why I suggested purchasing a wireless router and setup one PLC (that is in close range or in your office) for wireless. You can use your existing wired LAN adapter or purchase a wireless adapter and get familiar with the setup. No matter what happens you will not lose money purchasing the wireless router because it can always be used in some capacity.

Simply put a router allows an independent LAN configuration with access to another network, an accesspoint connects a wireless device to a wired LAN configuration.

I am not sure what is available in Europe. I do know that Linksys, which is owned by Cisco, offers relatively inexpensive routers, accesspoint, and range expanders. D-Link also offers relatively inexpensive products that are recommended by many.

Last edited:
Just yesterday I set up my first wireless connection to a PLC and HMI using a cheap Netgear router as a demo (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php). It's a fairly easy process, although the Netgear has an annoying internet startup wizard that can take some getting around.

You can definitely use a router as a wireless access point by disabling DHCP and assigning fixed IP addresses in your network. The Netgear has 4 Ethernet ports, and I just connect the PLC/HMI/Switch into those and program via the wireless connection. So long as all the devices on the network have the same subnet mask, everything should behave just like a normal wired Ethernet network.

Last edited: