Problem communicating with Rslinx in Plc-5

Natte

Hello,

I am new to this group and to the plc. I am trying to connect the plc-5 to my computer using usb serial adapter. I am going to configure driver-->Rs232-->new device-->com4 (where is my usb connected)-> Auto configure.

But it steps through the baud rates and displays "verifying DF1" settings before freezing up and not responding.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me in figuring it out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
what type of port on the PLC-5 are you trying to connect to? ...

if it's a 9-pin type - that won't work at all ... the 9-pin ports are for Data Highway Plus - and require DH+ communication hardware ... $$$ ...

if it's a 25-pin type - then you might stand a chance ... how is the cable pin-out configured? ...

Last edited:
The cable between your USB to serial adapter and the 25 pin port on the PLC needs to be a null-modem cable.

9 Pin Side 25 Pin Side
Pin 2 Pin 2
Pin 3 Pin 3
Pin 5 Pin 7

Do you have the .RSP file and can you post it here. We can then see how the serial port on the PLC is configured. Zip the file first.

Last edited:
some USB-to-Serial adaptors won't do the Autoconfigure trick reliably ...

you might want to try using these default manual settings ...
Baud Rate = 2400
Bits Per Character = 8
Stop Bits = 1
Parity = None
Error Detect = BCC

do you need to keep any existing program which is already in the processor? – or would it be OK to "kill it" all the way back to its "fresh out of the box" settings? ... if it's OK to kill the processor, try turning the power OFF – and then remove the processor's battery for a few seconds ... then try the default settings listed above ...

Yes.. Its a null-modem cable.

I need to find the plc file. But right now i am not able to link with the RSlinx.

Thanks.

I am able to connect it now.
I put the parameter manually in the RS-232 instead of clicking the auto-configure button and then it started communicating.

Thanks guys for your help.

good ... if you're not using a KEYSPAN model adaptor then you need to get one ... some of the other brands don't always work with the Autoconfigure feature ...

Hey..

I am having same issue again with micrologix. i am clicking on auto-configure button in rs linx but it just freezes and says failed to connect.
Can someone help me out ?

or can someone let me know where can i manually look for the parity, stop bit, baud rate, etc in the program so that i can set manually instead of doing auto-configue.

Thanks.

If your USB/RS232 converter does not support switching configuration settings fast enough to run the Autoconfigure feature, then it won't work no matter what type of controller it's attached to.

It's not actually "freezing"; it's just timing out repeatedly after it checks every possible speed/framing/error-checking possibility. It takes a couple of minutes to time out completely because the timeout duration increases with the slower baud rate settings, until it gives up at 300 baud.

MicroLogix controllers default to 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking, and of course SLC/MicroLogix in the Device Type field.

If you have any model other than the MicroLogix 1000, you can force the Channel 0 serial port into the default configuration by pressing the DCOMM button (or selecting it from the LCD menus on the MicroLogix 1100/1400).

The DCOMM button is hidden down in the lower left side under the battery/eeprom hatch on the MicroLogix 1500.

Just press and hold it until the DCOMM LED comes on.

The serial port settings for Channel 0 (the round Mini-DIN port) will be set for the defaults of 19200, 8/N/1, CRC. Set RSLinx for "SLC/MicroLogix" in the Device Type field.

This only affects Channel 0, not the optional 9-pin Channel 1. It also does not change the settings in the user program; if you press DCOMM again, the controller goes back to the user configuration.