Problem with BTW & BTR in PLC-5

The old 3.xx version of RSLogix 5 had a nice "feature" that when ever you entered a value to a data table address during editing, it won't write that value to the data table when you except the rung! I took a look at the revision notes and there is an entry for r3.21.00 that read "preventing data table edits made during an online edit from being sent to the PLC when the rung is accepted." I don't remember what I did to work around that problem but it sure sounds like what you guys have been chasing. Whenever we added a timer or counter we would have to go back to the data table and reenter the information a second time.

(8{)} ( .) said:
Why don't you give us the desired RGS for the module so that we can give you the proper value to move to the .RGS register.

That way you'll be able to program the BTR/W even if you don't have the upgraded software.

Ron, any comments?

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

if I understand Gsquare's problem (and I think I do) then he really shouldn't need anything special to program his block transfer rungs ... BUT ... he DOES need to make sure that the processor is in the Program mode while he "Accepts" the rungs ... that shouldn't be a big problem as long as his plant is in "shutdown" during the programming operation ...

Solved ! Problem with BTW and BTR

Ron and Yosi,
Finally the mill shutdown was on 7th August. The Analog input module got configured (in PROGRAM mode) just as Ron predicted. Thanks for all the help and encouragement in helping to solve the problem.

Best Regards,
Gsquare

Hi GSquare,

Thanks for filling us in.

Regardless, I think that you should get some updated software or
figure out a way of defining BT file data for the next time around. Waiting for a plant shutdown in order to add a module sounds very inconvinient.

Thanks Again,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

BTW and BTR error

Hello guys.

I am a student and I am trying to fix a problem with the plc5/40 communication with the AB 1771 OFE2/B. The system used to work long time ago and for an unclear reason it stopped working. One problem now, that I could find, is that the analog output is not receiving/sending information. For the BTW and BTR the DLEN bits are as follows:

BTW --> DLEN = - 7 (data was lost)
BTR --> DLEN = -5 (checksum wrong)

I was using 3 channels.. I tried moving from channel 3 to 4. Then the error was gone, but the process didn't work. (but that was okay, because i have it communicating with an inverter which i must still test - just to clarify: channels 1 and 2-> valve control; channel 3-> inverter; channel 4 -> not used so far) . But, now, the errors are back. But I dont know what can be causing them. Can you help please?

Sorry if I am confusing.

Thank you so much in advance.

Best wishes,

Aline

and attach your program file (RSP) to the new thread ... you'll have to zip it first - forum rule ...

we'll try to help - but we'll need more to work with than the error codes that you've posted ...

Last edited:
That thread has been dormant since 2004, so unless your PLC-5 block transfer problems are actually identical and involve a configuration problem with RSLogix 5 version 3.2, please create a new thread and provide some context and detail.

New Thread is the green button at the top of the main PLCTalk page.

More often than not I answer my own questions while composing a New Thread, but for troubleshooting it's always great to get the context at the start.

More often than not I answer my own questions while composing a New Thread

Ken, That happens to me more times than I care to admit. I now compose the question in notepad first and the same damn thing happens. Guess it organizes my thoughts better.