problem with ge fanuc pcif-30 I/O interface card

mamadoo95

hi, everybody
I have a ge fanuc 90-30 base 10 slot ic693apu302, it is connected to the plc via a 25 pin cable connecting the plc to the pc through a horner electric pcif-30 card, the problem is that the card has an address of 300 (the switches are in position 000001), when i run the machine the pcif card is not read, it gives me an error message of "horner electric pcif card not found", inorder to read the card i do the following:
1.shutdown the m/c
2.put the dip switches all in zero position(000000).
3. run the m/c.
4.after the error message appears, i modify the last dip switch to be 1 (000001).
the m/c runs well. So, i need a way for the pc to keep the address of the pcif card, inorder not to make the above sequence of operation everytime i turn off the m/c.
thanks at all.

Last edited:
Has this machine has worked properly in the past? When did this behavior begin? What else changed around the same time you started experiencing this problem? What appplication is running on the PC that uses the PCIF30 card? Have you made any changes to that application lately?

Your description sounds like the configuration of the PCIF card is not being saved in the application that uses it. Each time you restart, the program reverts to a different configuration and you have to manually change it.

Since the PCIF card sits on the old 8-bit ISA backplane, I have to assume you're running this application on an old PC. Do you have to reset the PC's internal clock every time you start because the PC's battery is dead? That could be related.

Re: steve

THE M/C WORKED FINE 3 DAYS AGO, the problem began with a 2 position axis module changed, it is an old pc (pentium 2 cpu, with isa slot), the software using the pcif is a software built by peddinghaus used to control a drill in a cnc m/c.
I think as you say that the application doesnot save the address of the card.

Last edited:
The manual GFK-1540 for the PIF400 card describes jumper J3 which determines the behavior of the card on power-up. J3 removed means the card does not start until it receives a command from the PC. J3 in place means the card starts when the PC is powered up. Is that in the right position?

The APU302 card is capable of having a motion program stored on it. If so, the replacement card won't have that program unless you download to it. Even so, it's hard to see how the replacement of the axis module would be related to the addressing of the PCIF card in your PC.

the card model is gfk-0889c not the no. you talking about, this card has jumpers for port address, watchdog timer only, if you download it's pdf file you will see what i mean, i donot know whether the problem is that the card doesnot save it's address, or the pc doesnot save the address of the card, i mean the address is saved in the card or in the system itself, a last thing to be mentioned is that the battery is ok, as the sysytem time doesnot change everytime i reboot.

thanks alot steve for your concern.