Problem with GE Firmware

Andrew_W

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a reoccurring problem with a GE 374 PLC (IC693CPU374). For some reason it keeps losing the Ethernet module firmware, it happened for the first time in July with no explanation, it happened again in September, I suspected because it was unplugged over a long weekend, then it happened sometime between 5PM and 7:30 am last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I have talked to the supplier the last few times it has happened and he has never heard of anything like it. If it was a power issue like I first thought I would have thought the user loaded program would have been missing as well, but it was not, just the Ethernet firmware, causing a loss of comms to the scada computer. Has anyone had this happen before? and if so what was the ultimate cause of the issue, and the solution, as spending a hr at site every time this happens to re-flash the firmware is not a great solution.

Andrew

You should report this to GEIP support. I have worked with numerous 374's over the years and have never heard of one losing the Ethernet daughterboard firmware. I really don't even see how this is possible since the FW is stored in flash.

When this happens, what state(s) are the LED's in? Have you tried pressing the Ethernet reset to see if it comes back alive? In the early 374's if a packet flood came across the network it could shut down the interface but a reset would bring it back to life. This was redesigned in the 374+.

I have had a similar issue at one of our customers, and believe that we have narrowed it down to a specific firmware version -GP (12.04).
Three different CPU's on a power cycle began flashing the "RUN" and "OK" LEDS simultaneously indicating that the unit was waiting for its Flash to be loaded. After installing the latest version firmware (12.22) we have not had the problem re-appear on that CPU.
I am currently waiting to get the third serial number from our customer before starting a case at GEIP.

I have had a similar issue at one of our customers, and believe that we have narrowed it down to a specific firmware version -GP (12.04).
Three different CPU's on a power cycle began flashing the "RUN" and "OK" LEDS simultaneously indicating that the unit was waiting for its Flash to be loaded. After installing the latest version firmware (12.22) we have not had the problem re-appear on that CPU.
I am currently waiting to get the third serial number from our customer before starting a case at GEIP.

Good to know I'm not the only one, however, this unit has been flashed with the 12.22 firmware each time it happened, I'm not sure on what the original version was though, when this has happened all three Ethernet lights (eok, LAN, and STAT) are slowly blinking in unison, all my notes are at the office, when I get them I will post the specific error coeds I found on the fault table.

Hello Everybody,

The same is happening (eok, LAN, and STAT slowly blink in unison) with a dozen of IC693CPU374 in our plant. We have flashed the FW 12.22, but this behave repeats in a weekly/monthly basis.

Error codes associated (same timestamp)

Module software corrupted; requesting reload
EC:401, Group:16, Task num:6

Reset of communication interface
EC:5, Group:8, Task num:126

Module in firmware update mode
EC:60, Group:4, Task num:126

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
César.

Last edited:
Contact your local GE rep with the serial number and build date of the effected module as there was a bad run of them,they are taking the one I'm having issues with back and fixing it free of charge as its one of the effected.