Profinet limitations on CPU 1512SP

Holmux

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All

I have a little(BIG) problem that I am stuck with.

I have a ES 200SP setup with a 1512SP CPU, two S110 drives and a AdvancedHMI screen communicating via ModBus to the PLC.

I connect to the system via a remote desktop to a local PC in the plant with TIA v15.1 installed.

So far so good everything is working fine, except if I go online to the PLC, then the communication to the drives start skipping steps and I will get an error around every hour that I am online.
Why am i online, probably don't need to, (but having AB in my blood) I guess it's just feels right.

I have 3 Ethernet ports in the PLC, one for each of the S110 drives and one for communicating to the operator panel and my remote connection.

Is there a way I can balance the load on the communication, like we had on the older AB stuff ?

Cycle load can be set here. If you are using a timed interrupt, set the prioity to >15 to prevent comms interrupting it.

cycload.jpg

Are the drives Profinet IO devices ?
Do you go from Profinet device to Profinet device, or is there a non-profinet device in between Profinet IO devices ?
How is your programming laptop connected ?

I ask this because in all Profinet IO devices with 2 ports there is an integrated Profinet rated switch. The same for the 3 parts in the CPU. The switches should prioritise Profinet so no hickups should occur.

Are the drives Profinet IO devices ?
Do you go from Profinet device to Profinet device, or is there a non-profinet device in between Profinet IO devices ?
How is your programming laptop connected ?

I ask this because in all Profinet IO devices with 2 ports there is an integrated Profinet rated switch. The same for the 3 parts in the CPU. The switches should prioritise Profinet so no hickups should occur.

The S110 drives are profinet, directly connected to the PLC
I use the SinaPos block to control them

I tried to make the com as direct as possible

Cycle load can be set here. If you are using a timed interrupt, set the prioity to >15 to prevent comms interrupting it.

I will play with the setting to morrow, I would like to open up for more communication on the profinet.

the communication to the drives start skipping steps and I will get an error around every hour that I am online.

Can you talk more about this? What does "skipping steps" mean in this context? What error message are you getting?

Going online with your PLC should in no way affect the IO comms to your drives. It could potentially lengthen the PLC scan by up to the % configured.

There was a case here in the forum, where Profibus (not Profinet) connections were lost when he was going online. If I remember correctly, this were ABB devices, where he said he got new GSD files. I compare them for just for interest, and the only difference I've seen were the activated DP-V1 services in the old GSD files.

I remember we've got similar cases in a german Plc forum, but unfortunately the solution was never posted.

I suspect that when you go online with TIA portal, as you see in the project tree the status of the communication partners, the CPU does many diagnostic requests at one time, which may overload the PLC cycle.

Thanks for your reply, it has been a busy weekend ::unsure:

An you are correct, communication was not the problem.

I have been asking the customer for days now if they change anything on the machine, but they swear, on one even got close to the system :cry:

We had our own tech on site Saturday, and late in the evening we found that one of the customers technicians had decided to replace one of our T10 timing belts with a AT10 timing belt, coercing the belt to slip every now and then.
We believe this was change the night before I got online and startet working on the system o_O

I slipped and for a moment I let my guard down og believed what the customer told me, lesson learned :oops:

Thanks to all and i am sorry for raising a problem that was not there