Profisafe F-host/safety controller options?

ggc

Does anybody know of low-cost alternatives to the Siemens F series of PLCs that can function as safety controllers on a profisafe network? I see that Phoneix Contact has the RFC470, but a quick google search and the lowest online cost I could find was 3570Euro, which doesn't fit our price requirements.

Some background on our requirements, we have existing machines that run Wago 750-333 Profibus modules and hard wired safety systems. There are some refurbishment projects coming up, and given the machines already have a profibus network, the idea of using the Wago Profisafe modules was discussed. Our safety requirements do not require anything special, normally we would use a Banner SC22 safety controller or safety relays, so the idea of spending twice the money to achieve the same result but with added complexity isn't appealing.

Ideally we are looking for something at around the same price and functionality as the Banner Sc22, but with the ability to act as a Profisafe controller. If such a product doesn’t exist yet, does anybody anticipate that it will in the future, or will Profisafe (and other networked safety systems) always be a high-dollar option?

Ideally we are looking for something at around the same price and functionality as the Banner Sc22, but with the ability to act as a Profisafe controller. If such a product doesn’t exist yet, does anybody anticipate that it will in the future, or will Profisafe (and other networked safety systems) always be a high-dollar option?
I don't know of any low-cost safety controllers. I'm sure as the installed base increases prices will drop but I don't think it will ever be the low-cost solution.

As much as I like the technology, networked safety solutions may not be the appropriate solution to everyone's needs. They are the right solution for large highly-integrated machines, but perhaps your application would be better suited for a standalone safety controller.