Programmable Controller Series Six Plus

am_seleem

Dear all,
I'm trying to upload ladder logic from an obsolete PLC manufactured about 30 years ago.
It's GE Fanuc Programmable Controller Series Six Plus, it's controlling a production line.
Communication is established but when I'm uploading the ladder a message appears telling that
"Program Memory Exceeds User Defined Limit; Toggle Machine Setup"

Find the PLC photo attached.
Could you help & advise?

Regards

DSC_0082.jpg

I can think of two possible reasons for that message:
1. From the main Logicmaster menu, press F4 (Scratchpad) and increase either the memory size, the register size or the function set.
2. From the main Logicmaster menu press F8 (Expanded functions) and then F4 (MSD functions). Increase one or more of the memory settings (UPM memory, max nicknames or max rungs). Save the changes and then restart Logicmaster.

Thanks Steve for your support, I'll check & get back to you.
But does this message refers to the Ladder logic is still on the PLC or not? This is because this PLC was under no power for more than three years. But the lithium battery was found good.
Regards

Yup. If I recall correctly, it's because your offline program is larger than your target machine.

And no, it wouldn't have anything to do with the program in the PLC.

What size memory card is it? If it is a 12k board, simply solder jumper JP7 back in and it will magically become a 16k board.

BTW, thanks for making my day! I haven't worked on a S6 in fifteen years. I miss the old beasts... :)

Edit: The seventh card from the left looks like a MAP card. Where did you get this panel from?

And PM me if you need more help. :)

Last edited:
Oh, there are also two known problems with these old warhorses, the first one is that the four 4-bit processors develop a "leak" and moisture will get into the chip. This causes the processor to run its timers at about 100x speed. So if you see your timers acting strangely, then it's time to replace them. The only place that I had seen them for sale is in Russia.

The other problem is that the Buss Controllers will starting mis-reading I/O if they have been stressed by heat (most likely bad caps, so replace them).

And of course, never drive a oneshot coil from another oneshot coil in a S6. But everyone knows this. :)