Programming Qualifications & Courses

Nath_SWFC

Hi,

I'm currently serving an engineering apprenticeship at a food factory in Sheffield, England. I've done 3 years of my apprenticeship which have got me an NVQ 2, NVQ 3 and BTEC National Certificate in Engineering (both Electrical and Mechanical).

I've got a year left of my apprenticeship and both me and my superiors have agreed that the way forward for me is to go on a PLC and HMI training course and gain experience and qualifications in both these areas.

On site we mostly have Mitsubishi FX Series PLC's and Mitsubishi E-Series HMI's, but also have a few siemens and allen bradley units in different machines so ideally i'd like to gain knowledge in all these manufacturers.

I've looked around at courses and found plenty which are 3,4,5 day courses and fairly basic. Ideally, i'd like a course which would be longer than that and gain me a proper qualification, but i've struggled to find one.

Most people i've spoke to are self taught so i just thought i'd post on here to see if anyone has got, or knows of, a qualification in programming or if anyone knows any courses out there?

Not sure if this is an american site, or if theres a few brits on here but hopefully someone can help.

Thanks for reading 🍺

PLC Qualification

Hi,

As per my understanding, you are interested to know Other Manufacturer PLC's for ex. AB, GE fanuc.

Then probably you can refere to PLC.net free simulator or else just type in google Free PLC simulator software, you will get it many softwares.

My Practical experience, if you get handson those simulators then you would be able to handle easily Allen bradly PLC's.

do remember they are really user friendly & widely used.

Should ask your college about higher level courses (HNC and HND in my day)that may include PLC's.

The vendors will only give their equipment specific courses for which you will get an attendance certificate, not a qualification, these in their own respect are not to bad to have, it proves you did something.

Your more than likely to gain experience working on your own systems and getting involved with projects, your at the mercy of your management there and how they want to progress you.

Depending on the company they may sponsor you through university, which maybe the best way forward for a brighter future.

ps... sorry about Wednesday, would have preferred Palace to have dropped, I used to work with an avid Wednesday fan many years back. As a Swans fan I'm getting dizzy and nose bleeds with our recent positions.

pps... There a quite a few Brit's using this site, most still live there too.