Pulse vs Absolute encoders

Prince

To be honest I never used an Absolute encoder . What I know is that they will give me a reference number for position instead of normal pulses that I need to count.

The application is a cut off machine which works mainly based on positioning but I need to control the speed while cutting. We normally use a pulse encoder for servo drive this way we need to reset the counter value after each cut. Now I see that I have an option for absolute encoder on the Servo Pack.

Is it a good idea to use the absolute encoder option and get rid of the pulse counting?
What is the draw back?
What are the parameters that makes an application suitable for absolute encoders?

I use absolute encoders when the motor moves <= to 360º.
One good thing is that it always gives you the correct position even after a power failure. you can use an absolute encoder with outputs of 4-20mA, 0-10V etc.