Pump motor power sensing

JohnW

I have a requirement to sense the true power used by a submersible pump so that I can monitor pump performance. Anyone using anything that can do that and give me an output to a PLC, either analog or Profibus DP.

It is a soft start control, or simple contactor or a VFD?

If is a vfd, you can use a drive connected on a devicenet network. You will be able to monitoring the current or something else you're interresting.

Overload could be monitoring in a devicenet network.

Forget it if it's not on a plc setup.

Do you need to monitor "true power" or is ordinary 3-phase current monitoring enough ?

The first thing that comes to mind is the Siemens Simocode overload protection relay, which will let you read the power being drawn by the pump over Profibus DP.

Most makers of soft-starts also have a communication option that includes Profibus.

The link rdrast provided shows a very good dedicated-purpose load monitor that measures true power.

I've also used the units from load controls that rdrast recommended. They work very well. 0-10V or 4-40mA outputs with setpoint relays and true power - I think they even have some special models for pumps.

True Power Measurement

JohnW said:
I have a requirement to sense the true power used by a submersible pump so that I can monitor pump performance. Anyone using anything that can do that and give me an output to a PLC, either analog or Profibus DP.

Try to use energy meter. There's a lot of meter offering this with a provision of transmitting data's over rs485.

I've used the LoadControls unit which you posted with great success. It was sensitive enough to get relative viscosity measurements through motor power. Good unit.

Dan