PV550 connection using 1747-UIC

The COM Port number assigned by Windows can vary depending on what has been or is currently plugged into the computer. A busy computer can have very high COM Port numbers assigned compared to a computer which uses only a few devices.

On one of my laptops the next COM Port number that will be assigned is actually COM Port number 14. This high a number should not be an issue for the UIC.

COM Port (in use).png

For a native DH-485 PanelView (RJ-45 port), the default settings for the comm port are...

• Max Node Address = 31
• Node Address = 2
• Communication Rate = 19200

When you create a new application in PanelBuilder32, for a DH-485 PanelView 550, the above default settings are used. If these were not touched in the original PanelBuilder32 application, that is running on the terminal now, then it should still be at 19,200 baud. It's not too often you will see one changed to a lower baud rate, but it is possible.

My only saving grace is this Panelview was removed from a test rig and I can only hope someone has fiddled with the baud rate. If not, i'm not sure what else could be the issue.

As a precursor - it never hurts to shutdown RSLinx completely (File\Exit and Shutdown) and re-open it or even reboot the computer when you cannot get a UIC to establish comms.

chrisk_81 said:
Panelview 550 2711-B5A2 FRN 1.04
1747-UIC and Ethernet patch cable (don't have a NC13)
Rslinx 2.5 Panelbuilder32
Windows 7

RSLinx Classic v2.5x what?
Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

For Windows 7 64-bit, the minimum RSLinx Classic supported is v2.57. That does not mean that versions older than v2.57 will not work for this OS, but just that they have not been tested and may have problems.

What is the UIC described as in Device Manager under Ports and under the USB Serial Bus Controllers?

Just to double, triple check this...

For RSLinx Classic using the "RS-232 DF1 devices" driver...

1. Add driver and name it

2. Configure the COM port assigned by Windows in the Device Manager (COM14)

3. Select the Device type 1770-KF3/1747-KE

4. Select Station Number 00

5. Select Error Checking of CRC

6. Leave the Baud Rate at 19200

7. Click OK

The driver should show a "Running" Status and not have a "PORT CONFLICT".
With the driver running, the "OK" and "USB" LEDs should be ON solid without the PanelView terminal connected.

I'm not to keen on using the Ethernet patch cable myself, but it "should" be ok. Is it a pre-manufactured moulded cable or user made? Make sure it bells out end to end.

Once the PanelView is powered and the cable from the UIC is plugged into its DH-485 port, the "DH485" LED should start to flash, indicating attempted comms. With "Autobrowse" selected, you should see the PanelView in the RSWho window.

Are you getting this far and still not seeing the terminal in the RSWho window?

Regards,
George

RS-232 DF1 devices driver configuration for 1747-UIC.png

Last edited:
Are you getting this far and still not seeing the terminal in the RSWho window?

Yes, this is as far as i'm getting.

baud rate on Panelview was correct 19200.

I've tried rebooting PC multiple times, re-installed driver 3 times and i've tried port 4, 12 and 16.

I'm using:
Rslinx Classic EOM 2.59.00
Windows 7 64bit

Device manager has called it: USB DH-485 Serial Port (COM4)

Ok. I've done some testing with a spare refurbished and blank DH-485 PV550 terminal. We have a few still in service here so I have to communicate with these terminals a few times a year.

You have...

PanelView 550 2711-B5A2 FRN 1.04
1747-UIC and Ethernet patch cable (don't have a NC13)
RSLinx Classic v2.59
Windows 7 64-bit

I have...

PanelView 550 2711-K5A2 Series F FRN 4.48
1747-UIC SER A REV D FRN 1.03 and Ethernet patch cable (to match your setup)
RSLinx Classic v2.59
Windows 7 64-bit

You have...

RS-232 DF1 Devices driver...

Comm Port: 4
Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE
Baud Rate: 19200
Parity: None
Stop Bits:1
Station Number (Decimal): 00
Error Checking: CRC
Protocol: Full Duplex

I have...

RS-232 DF1 Devices driver...

Comm Port: 8
Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE
Baud Rate: 19200
Parity: None
Stop Bits:1
Station Number (Decimal): 00
Error Checking: CRC
Protocol: Full Duplex

I powered up the terminal and checked that it has the default communications settings...

• Max Node Address = 31
• Node Address = 2
• Communication Rate = 19200

With my RS-232 DF1 Devices driver running with no PORT CONFLICT, I connected the Ethernet lead to the PV550 and it showed up in the RSWho session within seconds.

I would always advise users to stay clear of Com Ports 1 - 4 for the 1747-UIC. Windows tends to share resources between 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. I use 8 as a default, but 12 or 16 should be fine if they are not in use.

Did you check that Ethernet lead is OK?

Had you connected an Ethernet crossover lead by mistake at any point prior?

Is the UIC able to communicate with anything else out the RS-485 port?

Silly question, but is the switch on the UIC in the correct position?

The older FRN 1.04 on your terminal is sticking out at me as well, but I don't think that would be the issue?

Another thing to try is to flush the Harmony cache files for the drivers in RSLinx Classic...

48241 - RSLinx Classic: Clearing cache by deleting Harmony files
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

UIC-PV550.png

For the PV550...

FRN 1.04 - 1.07 are supported for terminals up to Series D. You have FRN 1.04. We don't know the Series. But either way, the highest you can go to is FRN 1.07.

Series D and earlier terminals cannot be flashed above this as they don't support the Series E or above hardware.

Going from FRN 1.04 to FRN 1.07 is still an option, but I don't think it will solve a comms problem like this? But you'd never know? But to come up substantially enough in FRN i.e. above FRN 1.xx, you are looking at a replacement terminal.

But then, if the terminal itself is faulty, a replacement with newer FRN might just make you think the FRN fixed the issue, whereas it was the hardware change that did it? :confused:

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I also have the 1747-UIC SER A REV D FRN 1.03.

I tried today with another PV550 FRN 4.** and I still cannot see it in Rslinx.

What is the exact name of your UIC driver? and what has windows called it in device manager?

Tomorrow I shall try a different patch cable and I'll try connecting directly to a SLC 5/03 DH-485 port using the UIC to see if a can see it in Rslinx.

Failing this perhaps the UIC and been previously damaged by someone connecting a crossover. Might try to track down another UIC.

Also, the DH-485 LED flickers when connected to the Panelview but all I get is timeouts when looking at the diagnostics on Rslinx.

Last edited:
What is the exact name of your UIC driver? and what has windows called it in device manager?

The name does not matter, Windows will call them different on a lot of PC's, if you don't have a yellow exclamation point next to your device and you have a COM number then the driver is loaded and working. W7 will try and update the driver every time its plugged in.

Have you checked your settings on the PV you are trying to connect to? either one of them?

I think the displayed names for the UIC in Device Manager do matter?

The UIC virtual serial port installed on my 64-bit laptop is "USB Serial Port (COMx)".

The Universal Serial Bus Controller installed for the UIC is "USB Serial Converter".

These are normal for an x64 OS. You have "DH-485 Serial Port (COMx)", which is what I have on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop and 32-bit XP VMware sessions. This suggests you have the original FTDI drivers installed on your x64 OS.

When using the UIC in a 64-bit OS, you have to download or aquire the x64 FTDI drivers and install them. They do not come with RSLinx Classic. Then your instance names should match mine, I think?

It's still possible that this is a faulty UIC. Especially now that it sounds like it's had more than one owner and no 1747-C13 knocking about. It's very easy plug in an Ethernet crossover cable without realising the damage done.

If you can't see anything through the RS-485 port on the UIC then try the RS -232 port, if you have something to test with.

Regards,
George

I was going to make my standard suggestion of using a CF card and PCMCIA adapter. Forget all this RSLinx and DH485 stuff.

But, I think for that old hardware you would require a linear flash card which might be hard to come by...