PV600 to SLC5/03 via net-eni

Tom Hemeon

I am able to connect a laptop, SLC5/03 and a PV600 via a NET-ENI module and see the PV600 and make online changes to the PLC. The problem is that I cannot get the PV600 to talk to the SLC5/03. Rslinx enterprise config shows SLC 5/03 Processor, 192,168,000,010 which is the address of the NET-ENI connected to the SLC/503. The PV600 tag is ::[SLC]N7:0. The device shortcut is SLC and the Target path shows both the PV600 and the SLC/503 along with their IP addresses. Any idea what could be wrong here?

Tom,

A few questions:

1) what is the configuration of your network i.e. is the plc connected directly or through a switch.

2) How have you set the comms up on your pv600

Let me know these answers and we should be able to help

Garry

For the original post I understand that the PV and the PC are through Ethernet (own port) and the SLC is through the NET-ENI module, it means that 3 nodes are communicating via switch or something like that.

Can you connect your laptop to 5/03 with RSLogix or with "Local" shortcut testing the displays in View Studio? If you can do it, then the problem is not in the ENI, is in your "Target" shortcut configuration. The target means the path where PV communicates to your processor. Recheck the path and make sure that the SLC shortcut is pointing to the address of the ENI module.

I can see the SLC5/03 and PV600 through Network and Devices on my laptop in RSview Studio. I see the PV600 and the NET_ENI when browsing in LOCAL. TARGET shows the PV600 and the SLC5/03 only.

This seems to be where the problem lies. I can see the SLC5/03 in linx from the laptop thru the hub and NET-ENI. When browsing in LOCAL I can only see the NET-ENI.
Sorry that I didn't see this thread before posting something nearly identical. I am having similar problems but with a PV+600 and a NET-ENI connected to a ML1500.

Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

The text of my thread (PanelView Plus & ENI) is:

I am currently working on a project with a PV+ 600 (not my choice - too small) and an ENI/D attached to a ML1500. Both are configured with static IP addresses.

My issue is this:

After setup, I have had inconsistant connectivity from the PV+ to the ML1500. One time I download a change to the PV+ and everything connects and operates as I need and then I make a modification to a screen and receive error messages on the screen indicating that there's problems with communicating with the ML1500. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for this.

I have two identical systems that I'm working with. I'm only working on the first for debug at the moment, so I have been able to swap out the ENI/D and the problem remains the same.

I continually check device shortcuts because the IP address assigned to the ML1500 in RSView Studio ME's "RSLinx Enterprise, Communication Setup" is continually reassigned to the ENI and I have to manually delete and reconfigure.

Checked the PV+ and the Network setup points to the ML1500.

Any ideas? Any additional information that might be needed to help troubleshoot this?
Don't want you to consider this a hi-jacking of your thread, but do consider my issue quite similar and the answer may apply to both of us.

... rab

Not a problem. I have fixed my issue.If you browse in Local you will see the NET_ENI and not the SLC5/03. If you then copy this to Target the PV600 will not be able to see past the NET-ENI. You need to stop browsing, click on Target and delete the NET_ENI. Right click on Ethernet,Ethernet and add the SLC/503.Click on Copy then Yes. Click on TARGET, then the topic under Device short cuts. Click on the SLC5/03, then apply. If apply is greyed out you were already ok.If you are just making changes uncheck "Replace Communications" before you download and you will not have to deal with this problem. To make sure everything is ok after the download go to config on the PV600 then F3 application settings, hit enter twice and you should see SLC-5/03 Processor and the IP address. Remember you can buy better than Allen-Bradley, you just can't pay more for it.

Not a problem. I have fixed my issue.If you browse in Local you will see the NET_ENI and not the SLC5/03. If you then copy this to Target the PV600 will not be able to see past the NET-ENI. You need to stop browsing, click on Target and delete the NET_ENI. Right click on Ethernet,Ethernet and add the SLC/503.Click on Copy then Yes. Click on TARGET, then the topic under Device short cuts. Click on the SLC5/03, then apply. If apply is greyed out you were already ok.If you are just making changes uncheck "Replace Communications" before you download and you will not have to deal with this problem. To make sure everything is ok after the download go to config on the PV600 then F3 application settings, hit enter twice and you should see SLC-5/03 Processor and the IP address. Remember you can buy better than Allen-Bradley, you just can't pay more for it.
Thanks, Tom ...

I also found out that I neglected to uncheck the BOOTP box (DHCP was unchecked). This may have helped aggravate the communications. Since it worked at times, I dismissed this as an issue.

For me, AB appears to be robust once the system is established, but I have more problems setting up communications than any other PLC I work with (AB is only occassional).

Again, thanks for your help.

... rab