Pv800 to compactlogix 1769-l33er string

dpionk

Hello,

I have a machine I am programming and it seems I am unable to create a string tag for some odd reason in the pv800. CCW v 20 and pv800 fw 7.0. Has anyone else ram into an issue with this? Am I an idiot and doing something wrong? It will validate the application but specify that the string tag is not supported.

Thanks for any guidance!

Hi, there are characters which are forbidden for PLC tags such as comma (,), dash (minus), etc. Usually you can only use alphanumeric characters and a tag name cannot start with a number. Normally only underscore is the only non-alphanumeric character that can be used in tags

Hi, there are characters which are forbidden for PLC tags such as comma (,), dash (minus), etc. Usually you can only use alphanumeric characters and a tag name cannot start with a number. Normally only underscore is the only non-alphanumeric character that can be used in tags

That was one thing I had thought of. My tag name is just Main_PartNumber. I tried other names without underscore, which should be acceptable, with the same error. o_O

Summary
PanelView 800: Error 3015 when validating with strings in a CompactLogix 5370 processor
Problem
When validating a PanelView 800 program in Connected Components Workbench that uses strings from a CompactLogix 5370 type of processor the following 3015 error comes up:

Tag <tag name> with address <address> has either an unknown address, unacceptable data type or undefined controller name.

Receive the an error message when running the application:

2: Data Access Error for Alias <tag name>, Controller <controller name>, Address is <address>, Communication Flag is 0

Environment
PanelView 800 with a firmware that support the CompactLogix 5370 see 774421 - PanelView 800: Communication with CompactLogix 5370 Controllers via EtherNet
CompactLogix 5370 L1y
CompactLogix 5370 L2y
CompactLogix 5370 L3y

Solution
The tag address in Connected Components Workbench needs to point to the Data element inside the string, and specify the length of it, making the syntax :

<Tag name>.Data/<Length>

For example, for a string tag called Tag6 under the controller scope of the CompactLogix 5370 controller, with a length of 10 characters, the syntax will be as follows:

Tag6.Data/10

See 1072010 - Addressing Formats from PanelView 800 Terminals to CompactLogix 5370 Controllers for more information.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/823795