PV900 Standard

PLC Pie Guy

Hey All.
I am having an issue with an old PV900 Standard.
The part number is 2711-T9C9. The first issue is that on powerup the screen is sittting at the test screen, ""ERROR! FEHLER! ERRORE!""" iS WHAT i AM SEEING ALONG WITH A CODE 24.

Press Reset, then It says Application has errors!

Then it will go to the configuration screen with comm and fault lights flashing, (not connected to anything)

Just to add some details here, This panelview has been working for years, long before my time at this plant. It has been dancing with black lines accross the screen for a couple years and I have been pushing to replace it. We had a week long maintenance shutdown last week and this unit was powered off and on several times. Today this error was on the screen when I came in.

I have never used a PV except the component series so I am looking for some help with communications on this. I have a manual that states,
"" RS-232 (DH-485) Comm Port only or RS-232 (DH-485) Comm Port & RS-232 Printer Port
PanelView 300, 550/550T, 600/600T
2711-KxA5, -KxC5, -BxA5, -BxC5, -TxA5, -TxC5, 2711-KxA9, -KxC9, -KxG9, -BxA9, -BxC9, -TxA9,​
-TxC9, -TxG9"".

My problem is that my paart number is 2711-T9C9. According to this chart my panel view is a 300, 550, or a 600. Not the case, I am dealing with a 900.

Could somebody tell me what cable or combination thereof I need to attemp to re-download my program to this unit and maybe give an opinion on a probable cause for failure.

Thanks

From the PV manual, it is a DH485 using RS232 media (9 pin) with a RS232 printer port.
To access the DH485 port you will need a computer with a real serial port running on XP SP2 or SP3(with a patch found on this website do a search) and use the AIC driver in RSLinx and a straight through cable.
or a 1747-UIC using the RS232 port and a straight through cable.

Alan

Those PV900's have been obsolete for a while now, you can still get second hand ones but you do not know how long they will last.

Last edited:
Hey there.
I am using XP SP2.
I am using a 1747-UIC coverter, plugged in a staright through from PV900 to converter.
I have tried to auto config with the rs-232 driver and the AB_UIC driver for dh485 devices with no luck.

How would my driver configuration in LINX look?

So I have spent some time on the phone with AB tech support regarding my PV900.

My current set up: 9 pin serial cable straight through (tested & verified) from 1747-UIC to PV900. (NOT the printer port)
1747-UIC connected to USB port # 5 verified by device manager.

Linx: DH485 driver for UIC devices.
Set the comm port and station number is set to 0.
Click okay and open who active.

Linx does not see my PV. On my UIC I have OK led on solid, I have USB led on solid and every once and a while the DH485 light will flicker for a second. It happens every few minutes to hardly ever.

I can connect this 1747-UIC to any other device and it works so I know the converter is good.

AB could not tell me anymore than to replace the failed PV at this point.

I am replacing and have ordered but it would be nice to try and put the program back in this PV900 just for curiosity sake.

Any assistance on this Linx driver issue would be appreciated.

****I also tried this on WIN7 PRO 64 Bit. what would be the approriate driver for WIN7 as there is no DH485 for UIC devices driver?*********

The 1747-UIC should not require any complex configuration, just a COM port number and a DH485 node number. I would try DH485 Node 3, as most DH485 networks have the PLC at Node 1 and the PanelView at Node 2.

The DF1 Full Duplex driver's "Autoconfigure" feature doesn't apply to the 1747-UIC; it doesn't have enough possible configurations to need it.

If the network LED is flashing on the PanelView, there are no other nodes on the network. DH485 LEDs go solid green once the token starts being passed, even if there's no other traffic.

You could try a straight-through serial cable and a general-purpose RS232/USB converter with the Printer/Upload-Download port. Since you do have access to the configuration menus you can set it for Upload/Download. That port will behave like a DF1 Full Duplex port, so you'll use the usual 19200/8/N/1 serial settings and the SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView device type.

I do have access to the configuration windows. I tried setting that port to disable printer as decsribed in the manuals. There is a not in the manual that says in my particular unit, cat no. ends in 9, I can't use that port for anything but the printer, hence why I believe I can't disable the printer port.

My comm led never goes steady. It has a continuous flash and alternates flashing with the fault led.

I do have access to the configuration windows. I tried setting that port to disable printer as decsribed in the manuals. There is a not in the manual that says in my particular unit, cat no. ends in 9, I can't use that port for anything but the printer, hence why I believe I can't disable the printer port.

Correct. On all DH485 PV's the printer port can only be used for a printer, it cannot be changed.

Ah, thanks for the correction. On other terminals that have only a proprietary network connection (DH+, RIO, ControlNet) the printer port is dual-purpose.

Last edited: