Question about AB pilot lights

dogleg43

More of a controls question instead of PLC's, but here goes:

I know LED pilot lights are the way to go right now but when do you use a transformer-type LED pilot light (800H-PRTH16G) instead of a non-transformer type (800T-QTH2G)?

120VAC is my control voltage in this case.

In the past, transformer type pilot lights were used because at the lower voltage, the filament was less subject to damage from vibration. When LEDs came out, since all LEDs are actually low voltage DC, there was always a "driver", a little power supply board that went with them. Since a lot of people already had transformer type pilot lights and just wanted to retrofit the LED into it, the mfrs all made low voltage LED drivers, then made new units with them in it so they could all match. The volume dropped off so much that the transformer type have all but disappeared. The new versions have a little SMPS on them that accepts any voltage from 24VAC/DC to 240VAC, all in the same unit.

Is there an actual replacement LED bulb available that just plugs in?

Don't you still need the 800TC-N374 power module?

Sorry I was thinking of another manufacturer other then AB.
The AB configuration selection can be confusing.

YES, the power module is required for 800 series LED illuminated operators.
LEDs bulbs look to be of 1 type (no separate voltage ratings)

Good brochure overview here:
Brochure PDF

The new LED stuff is super flexible and robust. They did a good job with it.
These can take anywhere from 12-130V AC or DC. Pretty cool. You don't need to think about it anymore. Just order one model and it covers almost all applications.

Sorry I was thinking of another manufacturer other then AB....
The new LED stuff is super flexible and robust. They did a good job with it.
These can take anywhere from 12-130V AC or DC. Pretty cool. You don't need to think about it anymore. Just order one model and it covers almost all applications.
What manufacturer is this?
I've got a couple of pilot lights that are high up, and hard to reach.
It would be nice to get an LED bulb to plug in.

The C/H lamp system only works for one control voltage, it's a 3VDC LED with a converter board inside the base, different for each voltage. If you want some other voltage, you need a different lamp or a transformer. A-B uses a 3V LED too, but the module is outside and accepts anything from 12V to 130V AC or DC. All lamps are exactly the same regardless of your control voltage.

The C/H lamp system only works for one control voltage, it's a 3VDC LED with a converter board inside the base, different for each voltage. If you want some other voltage, you need a different lamp or a transformer. A-B uses a 3V LED too, but the module is outside and accepts anything from 12V to 130V AC or DC. All lamps are exactly the same regardless of your control voltage.

I called AD and their tech support says the Eaton 120V LED Bulbs do not use a power module converter. They are straight 120V and can be put into an old HT8 series lamp holder.

These LEDs have unique part numbers for 120V and 24V versions further backing up the idea that they dont need a converter. They also use the standard BA9 bayonet base that is identical to the incandescent bulbs for the HT8 series operators.

Link to bulb info

I called AD and their tech support says the Eaton 120V LED Bulbs do not use a power module converter. They are straight 120V and can be put into an old HT8 series lamp holder.

These LEDs have unique part numbers for 120V and 24V versions further backing up the idea that they dont need a converter. They also use the standard BA9 bayonet base that is identical to the incandescent bulbs for the HT8 series operators.

Link to bulb info
Yes there IS a "converter". Read what I said, it is in the BASE OF THE BULB, it's a tiny little PCB or an IC with a resistor jammed in there. That's why for them, there is a different bulb for every voltage. The LEDs are 3VDC.

zxsc380_and_led.jpg

No need to split hairs. The guy doesn't care how it's built inside.
Only if he can screw the LED version bulb into his H8 lamp. The answer is yes.