Question about GE Series Six

hmudhaffar

i am installing a new PLC system using Allen Bradley Comapct logix. there is an existing GE Series Six ASCII BASIC PLC and we are requested to connect the new AB PLC to the existing one. of course the best way is to use Modbus card. can we connect the two PLC using modbus communication specially that the existing PLC is quite old.

Are you trying to make the CompactLogix PLC replace the Series Six or just communicate with it? What is the ASCI BASIC module connected to in the existing system?

The ASCII BASIC module in the Series Six runs a BASIC language program independent of the ladder in the CPU. I have compared it in the past to having a Commodore 64 in the PLC. While it is capable of acting as a Modbus master or slave, everything depends on the program it is currently executing.

Another possibility would be to install a CCM module and set it up as a Modbus slave.