question about sending message between two different networks

angi

Hi Guys

there are two RSlogix5000 PLCs in different control networks, how to setup the configuration for hardware and software in order to send a tag value from one PLC to other one?

thanks

In general, ControlLogix can send a message from controller to controller if the networks are logically connected together.

The specifics of hardware and software configuration depend on the network.

Are these Ethernet networks ? ControlNet ? DH+ ? Something else ?

Are the networks physically connected together ?

Tell us more !

Thanks Guys

it is a Ethernet, I know it need to use message instruction, my question is the two PLC are not on the same network, how to setup the comunication?

thanks

Because there are two different network(for eamaple, one PLC one network 10.0.0.100, and another PLC is 3.1.1.100)there are some messages need to be sent between these two PLCs, how to configure the hardwre and software?

thanks

You need a gateway between the two networks. This is a basic feature of all network routers.

In the ControlLogix, you must make sure that both of the controllers have a Default Gateway configuration that points to the IP address of the gateway for their network.

When you configure the MSG instruction, you simply put in the IP address of the target controller. The router will take care of getting the message to the remote network and to the target device.

Are these two networks *physically* connected together in any way ? Are they VLANs, or just two logical networks that co-exist ?

thanks Ken

we are going to use optical cable to connect them together. they all have ethernet module in the rack, do i need another ehernet module as a gateway?

Hi angi

You don't need another card but this is what I do so it keeps the networks seperate and it's works best for me. Now your router will also do the same for you as ken said but I the price of a card is not a issue this is how I would proceed.
Donnchadh

Thanks Don

you mean there is no additional ethernet module needed, i need to buy a router?

hi Don

If we are going to go Ethernet card, which one I need for controlLogix?

thanks