Question about sudden motor faults.

"Powering down the cabinet" would not reset trippable protective
devices such as the motor starter OL's, MMP, etc.

Yeah I think it was just luck, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't according to the other tech. The third shift guy left a message that no they had no motor faults last night, we are still monitoring today just to make sure, but it looks like replacing the power base did the trick.

I had checked all the connections, from the OL, AUX, PLC, nothing was loosed.
I checked the documentation and there's nothing attached to the bed as far as to tell if the belt is running, like an encoder.

Here's the plc program, is a little hard for me to follow as it uses a bunch of function blocks, I'm not that advanced in my plc skills. The bed number giving problems was U514360.

I put it on my dropbox because it was over the limit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54357456/CC9_04122012.zip

I really appreciate all the comments, and the help from everyone.

Yeah I think it was just luck, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't according to the other tech. The third shift guy left a message that no they had no motor faults last night, we are still monitoring today just to make sure, but it looks like replacing the power base did the trick.

I had checked all the connections, from the OL, AUX, PLC, nothing was loosed.
I checked the documentation and there's nothing attached to the bed as far as to tell if the belt is running, like an encoder.

Here's the plc program, is a little hard for me to follow as it uses a bunch of function blocks, I'm not that advanced in my plc skills. The bed number giving problems was U514360.

I put it on my dropbox because it was over the limit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54357456/CC9_04122012.zip

I really appreciate all the comments, and the help from everyone.

I have never seen and AOI that references another AOI that already references yet another AOI.

It looks like not only do they monitor the aux but they also monitor a photoeye maybe? What is the U514360_PE_P device on the prints?

It sounds like maybe it was the same exact issue Hooey ran into where the coil just wasn't pulling in every now and them.

Or maybe it is time to hire an onsite troubleshooter who understands PLC systems.

It looks like not only do they monitor the aux but they also monitor a photoeye maybe? What is the U514360_PE_P device on the prints?

Yes it is the package preset photo eye, on the print, and it is at the end of the bed.

So far no motor faults, I pulled up the report and there were 80 motor faults last week, 62 between Thursday and Friday when it got worst.

Or maybe it is time to hire an onsite troubleshooter who understands PLC systems.

We have a contract with Dematic (Siemens) they had modified something on the plc program, and when they talked to my manager and said there was nothing wrong with the plc program, that's when I decided to replaced the power base as I didn't found any other electrical or mechanical problem. I only came here to see if anybody experience problems with those components, and I don't know maybe something Dematic overlooked on the plc program.

LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
I guess I didn't learn anything from your post, but thanks anyway for droping by.

I have been learning ladder logic on my own, even though I don't need it at this job, and I am going to school for computer programming that's consumes most of my time. Hopefully when I get done with my degree I get some sort of formal training in plc programming.

Last edited: