Question about testing FactoryTalk; testing station

I tried searching for answers on here for some time and the results didn't work for what I was looking for. Apology ahead of time if there is an existing thread about this. I know about searching and whatnot.

I am writing a program (app) in RS5000 and in turn designing screens for a PanelView600 in FactoryTalk. As I stated in an earlier post I am new to programming/testing them. The app I have has three programs inside of it. Each of them for a different 1769-L23E.

If I supply power to a Panelview and a 1769-L23E, just the processor-no modules, can I load the program and test it against what I've designed in FactoryTalk?

Once again.. I know this may be common information but please cut me a break. I could phone one of our engineers elsewhere or bug coworkers...but I'm trying to become a programmer and want to get the info on my own as to come off well to the bosses.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, you will need to right click on the modules in your I/O configuration, click on "Properties", then find the "Inhibit module" checkbox. This will prevent the lack of modules from disturbing the processor.

Thank you very much, sir! I know some of the other programmers do it. But I'm the only one in house right now. Others are at start ups and whatnot.

Like I said, I'm new to the programming but I've been using computers since I could remember. Searching through directories using ms_dos with big floppy disks.:cool:

Keep in mind I was like 6 years old at the time lol.

Any tips/suggestions for a new programmer? I'm pretty comfortable with using RSLogix..gettin' there with FactoryTalk... Just been looking up help on sites like this and referencing a few PLC books I have.

That is why I want to monitor my app on the PanelView. We don't have an emulator here

Some clarification please.

are you using RS Logix 500 or Rs logix 5000?
Logix 5000 will not work with a 1769 processor.

Are you using panelview or panelview plus terminals?
Factory talk will not work on a regular panelview terminal.

Please clarify.

regards,
james

regards,
james

???

1769s are CompactLogix processors, which only work with RsLogix 5000. The 1769 I/O modules are compatible with the Micrologix 1500 though.

Are you using panelview or panelview plus terminals?
Factory talk will not work on a regular panelview terminal.

Please clarify.

regards,
james

I'm confused... You most definitely use RS5000 with a 1769...

Also I am using a PanelView Plus 700 not a 600 as I earlier stated