QuickPanel+ and CompactLogix PLC

timryder

Please can someone help me.

I've been asked to make a project that uses the CompactLogix PLC and a GE Quickpanel+ 7" HMI. I am trying to use Ethernet between the 2 and cannot for the life of me get them to talk... I can't find any user manuals out there or guides on how to do this.

Does someone have an example program I can look at on the Proficy Machine Edition Software? I have currently version 9.5 SIM 16.

Need to access the huge library of Tags I've created already on my CompactLogix project to this HMI.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should note, yes I do have "View" installed and licensed as well for Proficy.

What PLC access driver are you using?
I have an old project file that I think worked. It was for a project that was abandoned, but I believe I demonstrated communications before they pulled the plug. Send me your email address via PM and I'll send you a backup copy of the project.

Also,

Trying to make a Panel which Pop's up ontop of an already existing panel. No problem creating this but how do you close it? The only option I see is a Goto button with "Previous panel" and that doesn't work.

Also can you get rid of that stupid Arrow for the Goto button?

You could cover the arrow with a small rectangle of the same color as the GOTO button. If you do that, group the GOTO button with the rectangle and lock them together.

I don't use the built-in GOTO buttons because they don't give you many options for customization. In fact, I don't use very many of the built-in interactive objects. They are all holdovers from when the Quick Panel product line was owned by Total Control Products.

For screen navigation I typically use one of the drawing objects such as a button or rectangle with a script. They give you a lot more flexibility for color, text, visibility, etc.

As I mentioned in the email with the sample project file, to close the popup screen, use a button with a script.

So does anyone know how to address a global tag? I tried Importing tags from my device and that doesn't work...

I have both Program and Controller scope tags that I need to access. Anyone have the Syntax for that?

EDIT: Also is there a resource manual for these questions? I can't find ANYTHING.... Frustrating

Last edited:
In the example I sent you, all of variables in the PME project are tied to tags in the Compact Logix PLC. You use the same tag name in PME as in the RSLogix project. As best I can remember, the tags in the PME project were all controller tags in RSLogix.
I doubt if there is any direct method in PME to import tags from RSLogix. I suggest exporting some RSLogix tags to a CSV file and do the same for some PME tags. Then compare the two CSV files to see if they have anything in common.

Unfortunately, this CompactLogix PLC isn't working with the Native TCP connection style...
I have tried it already several ways. I have to use The OPC driver. I can't seem to address any Global Controller Scope Tags, just Program Scope Tags.

Also in that sample, there is only one Panel, the Home panel. Is that Correct?

Also in that sample, there is only one Panel, the Home panel. Is that Correct?
Yes, only one panel.
And it's possible that the tags in the example were Program, not controller. The hard drive on the computer that had the RSLogix file died last year so I have no way to check. Not sure why the native driver doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
I looked it up on GE website and it said you need to use the OPC Driver for the CompactLogix. wondering if yours was a MicroLogix?

Regardless, the scripting examples were a help so thanks.

Anyone else use the GE with Compactlogix?

In case anyone reads this in the future. I've had success and finally figured out what settings worked really well for me.

In PME, you need to add the OPC Driver and create a Channel for "Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Ethernet." Then add your path to the PLC's IP Address and few other options. Mine looked like this "<192.168.1.1>,1,0".

That will allow the HMI to read the Tag Data on the PLC. You'll have to create your own local variables for each tag you wish to Read or Write to and on the HMI. Set the Variables Data Source to "PLC Access" and select your Device you created for the Channel you made. Then for the I/O address.

To access Tags which are in the Controller Scope of you project, just enter the entire path of the tag. This will work with Nested UDT's as well as simple variables. Ex: HMI.Buttons.Global.ResetFault is the name of one of tags which is in several nested UDT's in RSLogix5000.

To access Program Scope tags... you must include a Prefix of "PROGRAM:" followed by the name of the program and a period "Station." then finally your tag name full path. Ex: PROGRAM:Station.Eject.Adv.PB is one of my program scope tags. The UDT Structure is Eject.Adv.PB but the prefix to that which is "PROGRAM:Station." is required. Obviously it should go without saying that you'll replace Station with whatever your program name is.

Hope this helps someone. I ended up having to basically recreate the UDT's on the Proficy Machine Edition side and manually painstakingly map each tag element to it's PLC tag counterpart. This becomes especially difficult when you have an array of some massive structure like a fault array 512 bools. ouch....