Quotes, Quotes and more Quotes

On all quote we generate we state it is only valid for 30 days. With most of my vendors we update prices every 6 months/ 1 year. This helps prevent alot of swing. Also in all of my quotes I try and keep a what we call the "fudge" factor. This help reduce suprises having a negative effect on our margins.

Automatic Quote Generation

On our website, we automatically generate quotes. Yes, the prices are there to see, but I suppose engineer's managers still want to see an assembled list on paper (or pdf).

How it works:
First a customer navigates to a particular product page, such as http://www.icpdas-usa.com/products2.php?PID=3717 . Resist clicking the link at the top of every page called "Request a Quote", it is just a sales lead recorder. Instead, click "Add to Cart". Now the gem appears, a "Download Quote" button. Click it and (of course) you still need to enter your contact information. But then! Click "Submit" and a .pdf quote of all items in your cart instantly appears for opening or saving. See screenshot "QuoteScreenshot.png".

About secret pricing:
Lots of companies like to have secret pricing so you have to talk to someone. You can't do these automatic quotes if you are set up like that. But I think this is the way to go. Last time I wanted to pick a motor, I wanted a "SmartMotor". But I did not know the price. I called. I was referred to a distributor. I called them. I e-mailed back and forth, answering questions about application details. In the meantime, I specified another brand that publishes their prices, Applied Motion. Wake up and smell the HTML!

Eric

QuoteScreenshot.jpg

Last edited: