Rack-mount Options for ControlLogix?

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Has anyone installed a ControlLogix chassis in a 19-inch server/network rack before?

If so, where did you locate the equipment to do this?

Thanks so much!

We got quite a few project with that configuration. The panel shops handled everything. Basically, you just mount it on the a blank panel, no different than a back panel in an enclosure. You can also mount it on a cross-rail.

I did exactly that just recently. I just rang up our sheetmetal guys that we use to build custom enclosures and asked "how much for a bit of galv xxx mm by yyy mm?"

The response was "I'm not doing up an invoice for a tiny bulls*** offcut like that. Send someone over this afternoon and you can have it for free."

Then I just mounted it to the rear rails with lock nuts and away we went!

There are a variety of them out there however they tend to be a bit spending at least compared to a blank panel. The pic is of a demo display kit I just built. I’m using 4U blank panels that are around $15 each. You could either mount the PAC directly to the panel or mount a din rail to the panel and use that (which gives you more options and makes it easier to remove the PAC if needed).

http://www.rackmount.com/Rackacc2/Racks-Cabinet/RCB1112.htm

19inch%20mount_zpsc9osprg9.jpg

OK, for those of you out there who don’t miss much, yes I have the panels mounted to the back side of the rack. This rack collapses into an portable plastic enclosure with a lid and I needed to mount stuff to the back of the rack to get the clearance I needed.

Yes, I built my own sheet metal back panels that dropped right in the 19" rack., I mounted a couple CLX processors in them, they were basically just the processor and 2 to 4 network interface modules, they were used for production line data collection.