Rain flood warning system

First of all I am very glad that this topic is a bit fun for my friends, haaahaaa, windows, rain boy and … hhaaa haaa!:ROFLMAO:
I use rain gauge and rain detector and no problem in sensing My main problem in communication protocol, I want to use modbus but mudbus reads every 1sec(for example) but I need read if rain and if not rain no data reading by master. Can modbus do this? Or not which protocol can do this?

Regards,
Mohammad Javad

Remember what you are trying to do
1. real time monitoring
2. sending info twice per day
3. sending every 5 mins info when it rains.
4. IF THE UNIT FAILS - ???????
your communications will need to be running or be able to reconnect automatically.
If you are concerned with flooding then the only answer is full time communication - use a watchdog pulse - this is to confirm the unit is running.

EDIT
Modbus can do it
- I need to read the question - sorry

Last edited:
Very Thanks,

all you write is correct, but for items 2 and 3 , How can I do this with modbus?

Regards,
Mohammad Javad

Remember what you are trying to do
1. real time monitoring
2. sending info twice per day
3. sending every 5 mins info when it rains.
4. IF THE UNIT FAILS - ???????
your communications will need to be running or be able to reconnect automatically.
If you are concerned with flooding then the only answer is full time communication - use a watchdog pulse - this is to confirm the unit is running.

EDIT
Modbus can do it
- I need to read the question - sorry

You will have problems doing this with Modbus.

You could use an autodialer like a Raco, and have the RTU close a contact and the autodialer call someone up. Not exactly what you want, but effective.

I do have a basic question - you don't need to have data every 5 minutes, but what does it hurt? If you setup the master controller or your SCADA system to poll every RTU as fast as they can, what problem does it cause? Why can't you just ignore the data received every 5 seconds or whatever until the data coming back shows a problem developing?

Hello,
I send data to central processor for mathematical modeling that run about 5 minutes, thus receiving data faster than 5 minutes is not useful, but main point is economic view to communication, in this view I want to send data only when is needed, thus I want to send data only if rain.

Regards,
Mohammad Javad

You will have problems doing this with Modbus.

You could use an autodialer like a Raco, and have the RTU close a contact and the autodialer call someone up. Not exactly what you want, but effective.

I do have a basic question - you don't need to have data every 5 minutes, but what does it hurt? If you setup the master controller or your SCADA system to poll every RTU as fast as they can, what problem does it cause? Why can't you just ignore the data received every 5 seconds or whatever until the data coming back shows a problem developing?

Hello,
I send data to central processor for mathematical modeling that run about 5 minutes, thus receiving data faster than 5 minutes is not useful, but main point is economic view to communication, in this view I want to send data only when is needed, thus I want to send data only if rain.

I still don't understand. Once you have a communicaitons network in place, why does it cost more to get more data? Are you charged by the byte by a service provider? If it is your own network there shouldn't be a cost for more data.

It seems to me that you are creating an artificial constraint. Why can't you get data all the time, and then take a "snapshot" of the most recent data at 5 minute intervals to perform your modelling?

I guess it doesn't rain very often in Iran. Around here it would no make practical sense to weed out the days when it did not rain. It could rain every day for a month during the spring, then not rain for 2 months during the summer.

Because I want to use GPRS that bills for data traffic.

I still don't understand. Once you have a communicaitons network in place, why does it cost more to get more data? Are you charged by the byte by a service provider? If it is your own network there shouldn't be a cost for more data.

It seems to me that you are creating an artificial constraint. Why can't you get data all the time, and then take a "snapshot" of the most recent data at 5 minute intervals to perform your modelling?

All right.

I guess it doesn't rain very often in Iran. Around here it would no make practical sense to weed out the days when it did not rain. It could rain every day for a month during the spring, then not rain for 2 months during the summer.