Ramp Rate Calculation

b104

I have a winder that winds plastic to a certain length and i am trying to calculate the accumulation of plastic during a linear ramp down. Basically if I'm running at 500 feet per minute and ramp down to 0 feet per minute over 60 seconds how much plastic will accumulate on the roll after that 60 seconds is up? Is there a formula for this?

Thanks

If you plot the velocity vs time, the distance traveled is the area between the velocity line and the time axis. In the case of a straight-line deceleration the area is one half of the starting speed multipled by the deceleration time, or in this case, 250 feet.

Steve's answer in equation form:

d = (V * t)/2

If you actually know acceleration instead of time then you can use:

d = V^2/(2 * a)

In both cases make sure all of your units are consistent. For example, you can't mix feet/minute for speed and seconds for time.

Keith