Raspberry PI Open PLC

Arduino PLC is the route I would go first if exploring inexpensive PLC alternatives. They have just released their PLC IDE and it's pretty legit. If one is familiar with CodeSys, they could jump right in without too much time learning the IDE. There was a thread on it here not too long ago.

Perhaps use something like the Arduino Portenta for the PLC hardware, and use an RPi to run the HMI software? Depending on the complexity of the application, I think it's easily feasible. I have a few applications in our test lab where I want to try this, after we get done with the three machine builds we have going on right now.

The price for the 1 with IO is Nuts. Almost $900? Wago CC100 is the same price, and more reputable brand.

Might as well go with a RPi Based Panel PC, and use a Click PLC for IO over Ethernet.

That is what I am planing to do for some low end standardized machines.

(With Codesys off course)

Not for sure where you are getting your prices, but I just installed a Raspberry Pi 4 B (8gig) with 32 channel analog inputs (4-20ma/0-10v) any configuration I need. for $250.00 USD.

as inexpensive as the click plc line is, I dont see a need to go with a big question mark.
What is the big question mark?

There is a big difference between using a click on a standalone machine, that is not mission critical and using a click on a $5 million dollar assembly line...

as inexpensive as the click plc line is, I dont see a need to go with a big question mark.

The big difference is when you land on a system like a raspberry PI it opens up a whole world of options. You can run databases on the PI and record data, make totally custom HMIs, systems, and networks. You can network remote access very easily from anywhere.

The big difference is when you land on a system like a raspberry PI it opens up a whole world of options. You can run databases on the PI and record data, make totally custom HMIs, systems, and networks. You can network remote access very easily from anywhere.

^ This ^ This and more is why we at our company are such big fans of the Beckhoff solution. But, another story for another day.