RCD's on 3 phase socket outlets

daba

My suggestion about your RCD tripping is that somewhere down stream of the RCD, within your installation, you have an appliance with a MOV surge protector that starts conducting when it sees the spike from those lights turning off.

I know we are having problems getting mutiplug units with surge suppression built in,
The megger test is starting the 275 volt MOV conducting hence a test fail.

A unit with the MOV , Phase to N and Phase to E may be your issue.

daba

My suggestion about your RCD tripping is that somewhere down stream of the RCD, within your installation, you have an appliance with a MOV surge protector that starts conducting when it sees the spike from those lights turning off.

I know we are having problems getting mutiplug units with surge suppression built in,
The megger test is starting the 275 volt MOV conducting hence a test fail.

A unit with the MOV , Phase to N and Phase to E may be your issue.

Well yes, but isn't that what the MOV is there for. The spike shouldn't be there in the first place.

So what do I have to do? Unplug all my appliances every night between 11:00 and 11:30pm so that my RCD doesn't trip?!? Not the answer to the problem really is it....