Recipe in HMI vs PLC

Orn Jonsson

Using AB ControlLogix and C-More touch screen.

My customer needs 50+ recipes each with 8 variables and 2 modifyers. They would like to use a Bar Code Scanner to load the recipes and a portion of the scanned bar code number to change the modifyers.

It seems that the HMI spreadsheet type recipe features require a user input for selecting a recipe. Therefore they would not work with a bar code scanner.

I was thinking about using a 2 dimentional array to hold the recipes and a Compare function to find and select the correct recipe row.

Any ideas on best practices with recipes are appreciated.

Orn,

I would write a UDT named recipe.

Each recipe would have a number say 1-50. When a product is scanned the relevant recipe will be loaded, and then could be checked to ensure the correct recipe has been loaded using a simple COMpare.

Mark

Orn,

I would write a UDT named recipe. (1)

Each recipe would have a number say 1-50. When a product is scanned the relevant recipe will be loaded (2), and then could be checked to ensure the correct recipe has been loaded using a simple COMpare.

Mark

I would not store the recipes on the HMI

(1) ...then make an Array tag to store your recipes : eg. Recipes[51]

(2) Use a LIM to check the scanned recipe number is 1-50, then simply copy the selected recipe to where you want it (add any other conditionals you might need, like sequence not running etc)

Hint : you can make use of array element 0 as the "Selected Recipe" (I usually do this with an Alias) - the code required for moving recipes around this way is very simple.

Selected_Recipe -> alias for Recipes[0]

LIM Recipe_Select, COP Recipes[Recipe_select] Selected_Recipe 1

Last edited:
If you aren't comitted to the C-More yet then consider using a RedLion G3. Since it has a programming language available its a lot more flexible. It can take your barcode input and it has plenty of user memory to store your recipes.

I've used both and I have to say I was less than enamored by the C-More. Without a programming language simple things require a lot of futzing around. The built in recipe objects in the C-More are a pain in the arse to use.

+1 to recipes in the HMI
+1 to Red Lion HMIs

I try to keep all programming in the PLC that I can. It causes the least amount of confusion.

If you aren't comitted to the C-More yet then consider using a RedLion G3. Since it has a programming language available its a lot more flexible. It can take your barcode input and it has plenty of user memory to store your recipes.

I've used both and I have to say I was less than enamored by the C-More. Without a programming language simple things require a lot of futzing around. The built in recipe objects in the C-More are a pain in the arse to use.
I have done recipes on G3s and it is really the way to go if your PLC memory is limited. Recipes can take a large chunk of memory. Plus I find setting up the comms for a bar code scanner is easier on the G3 than a Control Logix if it is RS232 ASCII.